______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Letters to Roa S - May 20, 1994

After Grandma died, we spent some time sorting through her things. Stashed away in a pile of photos and other odds and ends, I found a copy of the program from my college Commencement. Tucked inside, carefully preserved, was a copy of the letter that I sent her along with it. So far, it’s the only letter of mine to her that’s been unearthed. I’m almost afraid to see what Mom discovers as she sorts through the various boxes that were shipped back to CT and have been waiting for time during the folks’ retirement.

5-20-94

[New York]

Dear Grandma,

While the office was quiet I thought I’d grab the opportunity to write you a quick letter and most importantly, thank you for the lovely and thoughtful graduation presents. They are wonderful! Interestingly enough, it took me five minutes to realize who the cute little boy was in the photo. I was so caught up in looking at you and Grandpa that it almost didn’t register who he was. What a cute kid! I’m still trying to figure out who he looks like more. What I showed the picture to Mom, Dad, and Grandma [Ollie] it was unanimous that Jed looked like Grandpa. [Now I think that Grandpa Max and Drew look a lot alike!] Since I haven’t seen him in a while, it’ll be interesting to compare the two and see the similarities. I received a lovely frame from some women I work with, and I matted the picture last evening. It now resides in a place of honor on my bureau. Thank you. Along with the charm bracelets these are objects which will hold emotional attachments for years to come. When the time comes, my first born will receive this legacy from my grandmother. I’d love to hear the stories about where and when you got the charms on the bracelet. Perhaps this summer – between the reunion and the wedding?

It’ll be a while before I have any good pictures to send you about graduation. Mom and Dad have some, but I’m waiting for the school’s photographer to get me copies of some he took.

In the meantime, let a description suffice. The day was beautiful, a little chilly under the graduation test, but all in all a bright, sunny day. The ceremony itself was a little long, but I quest to those of us who wanted our degrees any time was too long. I graduated cum laude, with honors, not as high as I wanted but high enough to have 2 more Latin words on my diploma. The family – Ma, Pa, Grandma, J.J. … got reserved seats close to the graduates because I work in the school’s Public Relations office and my boss did me an unexpected favor. It was still a little far for them to see the stage well, but I went up to them afterwards.

The main speaker was Cokie Roberts from ABC-TV, who is on the school’s Board of Trustee and the sister of an alumna. She was very good and kept making jokes about Roman Catholic stuff-which considering the school used to be RC, kept the student body in stitches. Our student speaker was one TB--, son of the infamous insider trading Wall Street guy IB--, who went to prison. The school is hitting his mom, who is loaded, up for money – so its been interesting to see how the administration plays up to T—and his family.

After the ceremony, the Quad was a huge mob of people; graduates looking for their families, families trying to take pictures, friends trying to do the same, and say goodbyes, and move of the dorms by 5:00 p.m. At least I was spared the move.

We went out to lunch, a much more relaxing occupation. As a means of celebration, the next day I went with a friend and her parents to Carnegie Hall in the New York City. It was something I’d always wanted to do, and free tickets and a ride made it possible. The music was beautiful, even though some might not think so. It was modern American, and one of the pieces was a world premier. We saw the composers – since they were seated in a box opposite us. What a lovely day.

I’ve worked since then; my 3 days in Manhattan – with the commute are 12 hours long. Out of the house by 6:30 a.m., back by 6:45 p.m. Long days, but at least I’m too busy to reflect on how weird it is to be done with this thing called “school.”

It’s weird not being able to pick up the phone and dial a local number to call people. I have to get a computer code so I can us[sic] the computerized system called e-mail*. Since I can’t afford to call CT, or Boston as often as I like, this seems the quickest way.

Hope everything is going well in Utah. Only a few more months and I’ll be there. It’s going to be strange seeing some of these people after 10 years.

Got to run, now and help with my first College Reunion. Thanks again for the lovely gifts.

Love

[Auntie Nettie]

PS. I’ve enclosed copies of the program, and tickets for you.

Enjoy!

Photos soon!!!


*E-MAIL! 16 years ago, and was just starting to make an appearance in offices. I didn't even have e-mail in college. Can you imagine?! And no internet! No blogging! No surfing!

I'm so old.

3 comments:

Flax Hill Gardener said...

Was that Carnegie Hall foray with me? Sounds like an American Composers concert. I just realized last night that I will have graduated from high school 20 years ago next month. Ugh.

Auntie Nettie said...

It was indeed with you!

Let's not but in writing how old we actually are, k? Thanks!

CRBosco said...

What al lovely letter to your grandma. And the gossip!! So funny to read about "IB" and pondering the thought of whether the school will hit up Mrs. B! LOL!