______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, May 17, 2010

More Amazing Adventure of The Shushing Librarian/Travel Writer

Hey there ... The Shushing Librarian here. Sorry to have been so quiet recently, but I've been in the midst of some heavy duty lobbying about the proposed budget cuts to libraries.

I swear, government officials can be so short-sighted. "They" think that it's a good idea to cut staffing, hours of operation, and purchasing budgets to our facilities. "They" think that "you can find everything on the Internet!" To them I say (a bunch of foul words that are not PG and can't be posted on Auntie Nettie's blog) HA! DOUBLE HA even. In the current economy, libraries are more important than ever. We're busier. Our services are needed more and more. Our resources are taking the place of discretionary spending on movies, cable, text book purchases, and we're serving as career counselors, day care centers, job centers, etc. We have statistics and testimonials and patrons to back us up. And another thing ...

Whoops. AHEM. Auntie Nettie informs me I need to get down off my soapbox and get back to what she's allowing me to guest post here.

So ... anyway. I'm a very smart librarian, and, therefore, have been dusting up on my resume and skill sets in case I have a lot of furlough days ... or worse, just laid off. (I'm not bitter. Really! {SNORT}). I see that the Roaming Gnome is making out quite well over there on one of those travel sites, and other bloggers have gotten book deals and movies made out of their blogs, so I thought I'd try out being an undercover/freelance hotel/travel writer/critic. I know that's too many slashes, but an action figure's got to do what an action figure's got to do.

Auntie Nettie and Christine have been nice to include me in their girlie weekends. Plus, I'll be taking lots of family road/river trips this summer. There's even talk me going on a Harley Davidson tour and a rally weekend in Nebraska! Holy cow. Me. On the back of a HOG!? Talk about air up my librarian gear. I'll have to strap down the old skirt!

Back to the point. ... On the Montauk Road trip with the girls, I got to indulge in a variety of old-school comfort and cuisines. I do have to complain about my seat in the car though. This was my view. Hardly conducive to relaxation, don't you think? Just because I have multiple degrees, does that mean that I have to be the navigator?
Once at the Yacht Club, I got my very own key -- so I could come and go without the girls. Finally!I don't know about this message though. BE YOURSELF! Who the heck else would I be? Barbie?Every good travel writer/critic has to review the facilities. I have to give this odd set-up the old "Shush-up." The sink room led to a huge walk-in area, that led to another closet. PLUS, the toilet and shower room closed off from the sink area/closets. It was HUGE. Auntie Nettie said it was larger than part of her bathroom and kitchen areas at her apartment.Look at that large comfy bed. You just want to sink into the comforter and snuggle.I decided to test out the bouncy factor. I love jumping on the bed! Another "Shush-up!" WHEEEEEEEEE. (Maybe I shouldn't do that though. I can't break my other arm.)You know what's nice? REAL drinking glasses. Not plastic cups wrapped up in plastic wrap.Christine and I do have a small problem with the selection of beverages here. NO tea. No herbal tea. No black tea. No breakfast tea. Not even a Lipton's tea. What the heck?! Two points off.These Keurig machines are great.I know they sell tea pods and hot chocolate pods, so maybe they should be stocked with the other stuff too. Auntie Nettie chimed in ... "Yeah, not everyone drinks coffee!"While Nettie and I were arguing over the Word of Wisdom and how it's okay or NOT to drink Diet Coke, but not coffee, Christine decided that our squabbling was stressing her out and started looking at the Spa offerings.Since I was doing this piece on spec and had no approval for amenities like the spa treatments, I headed to the bathroom to see what I could use instead of a seaweed wrap, hot stone treatment, or deep tissue massage. Those two points are back because ... L'Occitane?! NICE!I tried calling housekeeping for more goodies, but we visited during the off-season and the help was on minimal staffing. No one picked up. I ventured out in the halls to look for a cart to swipe things from and didn't find one on our side. I did discover the vending and ice machines. Sadly, NO morning Diet Coke for Auntie Nettie! The girls and I ventured off the resort for dinner and ended up finding a local watering hole called Manucci's. Dinner was so superb (and the lighting so low) that no photos were taken. We're still all dreaming about the spicy seafood chowder that we had as appetizers. Heavenly.Once back at the Yacht Club, we were all so full and warm, that we had to get comfortable. The nightstands were nice and large to accommodate everything. (I never noticed how much bling Christine has...)A nice big glass of water before bed to combat dehydration ...and we were lulled to sleep by the wind and waves.The next day there was more exploring of the Island and then lunch at a MajorChain restaurant. You can eat healthily, and as a vegetarian, if you are careful. Apparently the iceberg wedge salad is making a comeback. We all agree that maybe the tossed salad is a classic and favorite for a reason. Who wants to work that hard to cut up a salad?! What are we? Rabbits?Here's a vegetarian fajita plate ... which you can get by requesting one. Look at the hunks of broccoli, peppers, and all the cheese and guacamole. So healthy. So good for you.Then take look at Auntie Nettie's jalapeno burger and mounds of sweet potato fries. (YUMMMMMMMM!)To each their own I guess.

I really like this extra gig. Travel. Exploration. Relaxation. Plus, I like the company. I do try not to embarrass Auntie Nettie and Christine too much.

However ... there was that time, earlier this month, when I tagged along with them to a rock concert, got a little too friendly with the event staff, and then rushed the stage ... but I'll talk about that a little later this week.

Once I have permission from my attorney.

There was something about a restraining order, so I have to see if I can still write about it on-line.

Until then ... Miss you Mike. (Call me!)



Also Support your local libraries!

No comments: