______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, October 24, 2008

a-ha!

With thanks to J* for providing some much needed Friday humor and nostalgia, I present my favorite band from the '80s with a modern, albeit, snarky twist.


a-ha's first hit "Take on Me"
as interpreted by Dustin McLean

Original

Contrary to popular belief in the U.S., a-ha is NOT a one-hit wonder, in case you were, well ... wondering. The band has continued to be popular around the world, with Morten, Mags, and Paul going off to create their own solo projects and working different bands. If Santa really wants to get me a present this year, I'm still trying to get the last CD, Analoque, imported ... (cough, Kelli, see wishlist, cough).

In the cyclical nature of popular trends, what was cool is cool again. Not only are the guys popping up on stages with groups like Coldplay, the newest boyband phenom/Disneytween fangirl sensation, The Jonas Brothers, has covered the track. (You can hear it here.) Call me an old fogey, but I love the original with its synthesizer mixes much better. Plus, Morten is ever so dreamy. Those cheekbones, that voice, the butt, er... talent. Sigh.

*Dude, I can't believe that you remembered ...

2 comments:

testmonkey said...

Remember? It's the first music video I ever saw. And, with all the love of a bratty little brother, I remember that you were in loooovvveeee with them.

Ew, cooties.

Auntie Nettie said...

I saw my first video with cousin Cindy. I believe it was one of the first, and it ws ZZTop. This was a leap forward, so I was doing you a favor.

(Remember when they played videos and MTV and VH1? and they weren't pop-ups?)

:P