______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, March 11, 2011

Postcards from the Past: Castle Cards

Aside from the first year, I spent the summers of my undergraduate college experience living and working on campus. The main building looked like a medieval fortress, and was called "The Castle" for obvious reasons.

I used to work in another department that had their offices in the turret, and was able to go up to the secret/forgotten offices up under the cornices. (You can barely see the windows in the shot below.) It was a great Gothic building, with secret passages, back corridors, and all kinds of history in the upper and lower levels. I do have to say that part of the reason I picked this small liberal arts school for my undergraduate degree had to do with that building (and my very very generous financial aid package).

(Winter view)
(Spring View) Side Portico, as viewed from the Library
One of those summers was spent in the library. Since there was no Internet or Twitter to entertain us, we had to find other methods to stay awake and amused ... like reading our mail and/or answering letters.

Apparently my friends weren't keeping me entertained quite enough, for I sent out this summons, carefully (ha!) scribed upon ye old-fashioned type-writer:
(Pay no attention to the typos, or the bad Monty Python joke.)

In keeping with our Castle theme, this is also one of my postcards from the college years.

My friends are artists, literally. This one is from Jane. Not only did she sketch Hamlet, but she wrote in most of the To Be or Not to Be speech ... by hand. Seriously, she writes that neatly all the darn time. It's hard not to want to smack her!

2 comments:

Flax Hill Gardener said...

Whoa! Obviously, I've been slacking in my later years.

Anonymous said...

Oh the Castle. I loved it there.