______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Recipes from Ollie J -- Honey Carrot Cake

Honey Carrot Cake

2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
(olive)
1 cup honey

1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 tsp. soda
(baking)
1/4 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1 cup grated carrots


Beat eggs, add oil, honey and buttermilk and mix well. Sift flour, soda, salt & cinnamon together and add to egg mixture. Beat until smooth. Add carrots and mix well. Pour into greased 8 inch square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cake is moist and delicious.


Oddly enough, I actually had whole wheat flour in my freezer. The only thing I had to find was buttermilk, which isn't as easy as you would think. Now I'm stuck with almost a whole pint of buttermilk to use. I guess I'll just have to make something else with it.

As for this recipe, I used a 7.5x7.5 inch square pan, so the cake was a bit higher than usual. I had to cook it a bit longer than the 45 minutes, and then the center "fell" a bit as it cooled. It's very moist, so it was stored in the fridge. No icing was provided, but so far, the I.T. department guinea pigs haven't complained.

2 comments:

Kristin.... said...

You can make buttermilk. 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, then enough milk to make a cup. Let sit 5 mins. I never buy buttermilk and just make it.

xoxo

Auntie Nettie said...

Many people have told me how to make buttermilk when I don't have it. I even consulted the BH&G cookbook. The PROBLEM was that I don't have milk, vinegar, OR lemon juice in the pantry at any given time. If I'm going to have to go and buy one or all of these as an alt. to buttermilk, I might as well just buy the buttermilk ... and then make many other things with it. Which I have.