______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, January 21, 2010

On Beeing Star Struck

We interrupt these regularly scheduled blog posts, to bring you an update on one of the coolest things that has happened to me in a very long time.

Less than 18 hours ago, I was ....
20 feet from STING!

Yes. Auntie Nettie has a fan girl crush. Yes. She realizes how silly that seems, but 20 is the number of years that I have been crushing on Mr. Sting, so somehow it seems appropriate that I was that many feet away from him. (Plus, it's closer than a restraining order specifies ...)

Thanks to a friend in production who knows of this silliness, I got an e-mail entitled "Jealousy" yesterday afternoon:

I stopped by your desk, but you were gone. I just wanted to say that I was sorry for stealing your boyfriend this afternoon and tomorrow……..I’ll be hanging out next door in the penthouse with Sting in a few minutes. He’s on the Joshua Bell Live from Lincoln Center gig tomorrow night! Luckily, I got called to work the gig too! I’ll tell him you said hi!

Needless to say, I called her back and said some things that sound like puck (sorry about that Cynthia -- you know I was being facetious, right?) ... and one thing led to another and she sneaked me into the tech rehearsal for about 45 minutes. As I carefully walked around cameras, over cables, sauntering by crew with headphones, I got to watch the lighting rigs get minutely adjusted, musicians refining their entrances and intonations, and lots of producer types lurking about. I ran an errand or two for Cynthia to earn my keep and missed Sting's appearance, but I got to sit there during his rehearsal.

Usually when I get to see Sting he's either on a flat screen or inches high -- because I can only afford the nose bleed seats and he's so far away. This time, there were about 4 empty rows of chairs between me and the stage. You know, rushing distance. Plus there wasn't arena security. Luckily for all involved, I'm not the rushing type. I may have looked like I was a jaded New Yorker but deep inside me there was a not-so-little fan girl jumping up and down screaming:

STING! THAT'S STING!! OMG(oodness), OMG! THAT'S STING AND I'M RIGHT HERE AND HE'S RIGHT THERE!!!!! STTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGG! I LOVE YOU! ROXANNE! Dream of the Blue Turtles! SOUL CAGES! FRAGILE!

All I could think of was "Don't geek out. Don't geek out. Be cooooooooooool, Auntie Nettie. Don't embarrass yourself OR Cynthia." DEEP BREATHS!

I wish I could have taken a picture, but that would have been uber tacky, especially given the circumstances. A flash in the dark would have certainly given away my position and called attention to the fact that I wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. Plus, I didn't want to appear gauche.

Thankfully Sting has shaved off the hoary hairy beard that he's been sporting recently, but I'm pleased to report that he's lean and lithe. So, he's looking older? Who isn't? Josh is also starting to show his age, does it really matter? They are both talented musicians and it was wonderful to see the shorthand that they have developed from working with each other in the past.

I've always enjoyed watching the behind-the-scenes stuff more than performances, mostly because I know how much hard work goes into rehearsing, scheduling, publicizing, and funding events. Backstage crews, tech crews, productions crews, and other administrative support NEVER get their props -- so here's mine. You guys ROCK!

Between seeing Sting, Joshua Bell, and Chris Botti, the gorgeous flower arrangements, the awesome views of the sun going down over the Hudson, and the very cool set and lights, I have to say it was a very very good night. Thanks Cynthia. What a way to liven up a Wednesday night.

Want to see the glossy, rehearsed, and outfitted version of what I got a glimpse of, watch Live from Lincoln Center's Joshua Bell with Friends @ the Penthouse tonight, January 21, 2009 on PBS or check your local listings. Click here for more details. Guess what I'll be watching tonight?

PBS ROCKS TOO!

1 comment:

Flax Hill Gardener said...

I don't know if I like you anymore. I mean, Sting AND Joshua Bell! If it were me, I would have thought I had died and gone to musician-crush heaven.