______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Birthday Wishes

Dear Birthday Fairy:

I know it's silly to be asking you for stuff for my birthday, so early -- but it's not really. It's in about four weeks, plus people have been asking me what I want. So, I thought I'd write you a Wish List to put the ideas "out there" for folks:

First let me say, I don't need much. All of these ideas are just little goofy things that would be nice to have, but I certainly don't need them.

A. That logo for Auntie Nettie's Attic that I asked Santa for all those months ago.

B. A New Library Book bag -- kind of like this one from the @your library.com folks. Hopefully it's out for sale now. I like it.


C. Not that I'm a culinary whiz, but this one puts books and food in the same place:

Literary Feast: The Famous Authors Cookbook, with recipes from David Baldacci, Adriana Trigiani, and the model for the Shushing Librarian herself, Nancy Pearl. Bios on the authors, lists of published works, and backstories about the recipes? What else would be greater? (Now on sale from Classic Day Publishing, though some major retailers.)

[2/2010 Editors note, again ... THANKS JANE. Cookies from Rick Steves and other culinary tidbits will be shared later!)

But seriously, Birthday Fairy, please tell people that I don't need anything. If people want to get me anything, I would suggest that they donate to one of three places:
1. Friends of Maddie. Families of children in NICU certainly need support and nurturing more than I do right now. I have been blessed. Help me pass on some love. Read about Maddie, Donate here, or purchase a pack for a family in need.

[1/16/10 Editor's note: Apparently there is some debate whether the American Samoas actually need these books ... Send aid to Haiti via the Red Cross for now, with aid for the libraries to follow once immediate humanitarian aid efforts have made a dent in the recovery.] 2. The children in American Samoa are suffering because a tsunami destroyed four of their libraries in September. The schools are seeking donations of materials to rebuild their collections. Children's books in new or good condition may be sent to:

Cheryl Morales Polataivao
Feleti Barstow Pulbic Library
PO Box 997687
Pago Pago, American Somoa 96799

(If someone wants to pay for my airfare and a trip, I'll fly down to Pago Pago to hand deliver the books!)

and finally,

3. Caramoor -- because I just can't say enough about the place or the wonderful people who work there.

Thanks for helping me spread the word,

Auntie Nettie

No comments: