______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, January 18, 2010

Retroblog Jan. 18, 1983 and 2010 Themes

Today is Teasday Jan. 18, 1983 Time 5:14 pm

Today is o.k. I think I have a cold. We finally got snow! About 1 month late. Late! That's right LATE! We had a sunny but cold Christmas. It came on Saturday. Thursday is Grandma Jones birthday.

Isn't it amazing how into snow I was? It must have been because we got snow days. No snow days now ... and I don't care if it snows on Christmas, as long as I make my flights in and out of New England before it does snow.

The note about Grandma Jones' birthday gives me the perfect segue into one of the major themes of this year's blogging: my grandmothers. While 2009 was all about the retroblogging from one of my old journals, this year is dedicated to going through old letters, memories, and recipes from my grandmas: Ollie Jane and Roa Sarah. If it works out, we might touch on the current grandmas (of the nieces and nephews), Mary, Cheryl and Virginia.

I'm hoping to transcribe the letters that we exchanged over the years. I have many of the latter letters that they sent me, and was able to reclaim the ones that I sent them when going through their effects. I'm going to start off with some of the recipes that I found in Ollie Jane's battered old recipe box, and mixed into the many little notebooks that she kept with notes on genealogy, random bits of trivia, and phone numbers. I'm hoping that one of my aunts and/or cousins has a lead on if Grandma Roa actually even HAD a recipe box.

While neither grandmother was particularly known for their culinary expertise, I feel that preserving these bits of family and regional history are important for the future generations of Auntie Nettie's extended family.

Hope you enjoy the trip with me!

No comments: