______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Retroblog July 8, 1983

WARNING: This entry will discuss delicate feminine undergarments and female body parts. Men, read at your own risk.

Today is July 8, 1983 Time Bedtime

Today we finished all the chores Grandma wanted us to do. Yesterday we went swimming. I have gotten new clothes: shoes, shorts, bras, p.j.'s, slippers.

What fun.

Why is it when you are doing chores for Grandma or Grandpa -- or anyone BUT your parents -- you are more inclined to do them? Could it be the attraction of doing them in a semi-exotic locations? Could it have been the "foreign" nature of some of the chores, like feeding the chickens, running down the lane to fetch the mail, or putting clothes out on a line right near fields of sweet potatoes, soy beans, and/or cotton? Were these chores real, or invented to get three energetic cooped up "city" kids out of the house?

I can't believe I was so excited to go shopping. I HATE clothes shopping. I must have been much less body conscious at that age, or really excited that Mom deemed it time to buy bras. Seriously. Bras. Was I really this age when we started buying the bras? Did I really need them or just want them? I doubt these were really even bras -- more like the camisole/training variety that is more like an undershirt.

This is another instance of wanting to go back in time and tell yourself that there are years of struggles ahead with underwire, slipping straps, and wrong cup sizes. You want to warn yourself about failed flirtations with lace, demi-cups, push-ups and paddings, and flashy prints and colors. The older and wiser you will counsel that comfort and coverage is more important than all that stuff. Plus, she will tell you not to rush to want to grow something that will eventually have to have to be squished into X-ray machines or be potential risk factors.

Goodness child. How about we exchange my "wisdom" with your sense of fun about shopping and lack of body issues?

Deal?

No comments: