______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Buffy vs. Edward*

Once upon a time, back in the 1990s, before there was this whole phenom called Twilight, there was this lovely little show about a vampire slayer. (Not the movie -- that one, er, sucked). Anyway, Auntie Nettie skipped out of a grad school class she was auditing to go home and watch the pilot and was a faithful fan until the end. No one was allowed to contact her by phone when it was on (except Janna and Michelle HI!); viewing parties were held at various apartments; discussions were held at lunch; and minor obsessing occurred. These fans followed the show from channel to channel and were distressed at many plot twists and early cancellations. Buffy and her "Scoobies" were the kinds of friends that Auntie had in high school, a gang of different folks out on the fringes, where things were happening that the "real" world didn't quite get.

Many years later, a new vampire was thrust into the public consciousness. One a bit more, well, a LOT more emo. While Auntie Nettie has loved the books, she is not one of the Twi-hards that has gone to conventions, signing, or gone gaga over the whole thing. (Nor is she a fan of the movie. She has not seen the movie. She WILL NOT see the movies. The soundtracks are okay.) She does not get the whole craze over the young pale messy-haired Brit who is cast as Edward. Maybe she's just too mature to get obsessed, with the book or the movie or the actors. Don't get her wrong. She likes the books. She has all of them. (Ms. Meyer's non-Twilight The Host is really the best of the lot so far.) But perhaps she's is a fan of the books more because she can put herself in the mindset of a 17-year old much easier when she reads it, than when confronted with images and bad acting on a screen. Plus, really, doesn't she have enough to do with four jobs, a blog, six e-mails, and A LIFE?

To that end and with that being said, whoever came up with this mashup is genius. From Buffy's eye-rolls and deep sighs, to highlighting the whole stalker-ish aspect of Edward, it's hysterical. (Plus, the Cedric Diggory/HP references and lack of copyright infringement with an explanation of fair use law ... perfect!)



The embed is from here! THANK YOU JONATHAN!
*Really, it was Riley vs. Spike vs. Angel for me ... most of the time.

1 comment:

mkat2000 said...

Miss Nettie! You must have been having a premonition yesterday when you wrote this blog entry, as I, your aforementioned partner in Buffy-obsessiveness, was watching the Twilight film (for the umpteenth time) in the evening and thinking "I wonder if 'Auntie Nettie' has discovered this yet?

I am pleasantly ECSTATIC to see that you have read the Twilight books. I unexpectedly became obsessed with this latest regurgitation of star-crossed love after watching the film Twilight with a friend on a rainy day in France.

I must say, for all the ridiculous cheese that IS that movie, Sir Edward and Miss Kristen have a chemistry that would get any ladies panties in a knot. As ridiculous the film is/looks, it got me hook, line and sinker on the story. Hence, my reading books 2-4 nonstop until there was nothing left and I cried myself to sleep. (J/K, sorta)

Still, in the realm of 17 year old ill-fated romance that we all wish we had/could have, Buffy reigns supreme! That mashup is brilliant and Miss Kristen is sure no Sarah Michelle!

In any case, I would like to request a meeting to discuss the tomes that are the Twilight series and make my case for watching the film as well as another and more age appropriate series currently tantalizing the masses - True Blood.

Would you be available, oooooh, let's say next week??? I am NYC bound from July 31-Aug 9 and save a wedding and a few days in Wethersfield CT I'll be in the big Apple looking to hang out with those I've missed for so long, including my favorite partner in vamp. :-)