______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Legal Limbo Update

It is with great happiness that I’m able to give an update on my legal limbo.

While I was on vacation, I played voice mail phone tag through three time zones with the lawyer assigned to my case. [Another hint for legal professionals, when “you have good news,” don’t just leave a voice message that says that you have good news, leave the details of the good news so one doesn’t have to speculate or play phone tag for two weeks. Just saying!]

The words “settled,” “you don’t have to do anything else,” and “it’s over” made my day.


Last week, I got letter that had the following words in the first sentence.

"It was a pleasure speaking with you regarding the resolution of the lawsuit that was filed against you and defended by our office."

Once I fill out the questionnaire about the insurance company’s handling of my case, hopefully I can add it to the pile of documentation and finally close the drawer on this chapter of my life.

Last month contained the four-year anniversary of the accident. My driving record had been littered by minor fender benders, but this was the worse accident I had been involved in. It wasn’t pretty. Airbags were deployed. Glass was everywhere. Cars spun around. Others were stuck together. Most were totaled. A highway was shut down. Some injuries were reported. No citations or tickets were ever given at the scene. Three different households were involved. Unfortunately, litigation was filed. Depositions given. Paperwork piled up.

Honestly, it could have been so much worse. There could have been more vehicles involved. Catastrophic injuries and/or fatalities could have occurred. Tickets could have been issued. Totaling the car could have been the least of my issues. Believe me, I know how lucky I was.

I have so many people to thank for their support throughout this process.

My guardian angels were indeed with me that day. Once again, they were watching out for me – just like they had when they helped me walk away from my first accident, when I rolled the car into a ditch, totaled it, and had to climb out a window and slide down the side of the car.

I am so grateful to my former colleagues and friends who picked me up from the accident within 15 minutes, after I called them in shock and disbelief. They dusted me off and then supported me the rest of that day. Those same dear people were there the day I found out about the lawsuit, though they could have run interference and body blocked the process server. They also continued to be my transportation lifeline and moral support as the years rolled by. I literally could not, and still could not, get around without them.

My friends with legal training, and you know who you are, reassured me over and over and over again that this would be the end result. They shared with me their experiences with similar cases and let me know that I was in good strong and serious hands with my insurance company and their legal team. Let me tell you, you are, indeed, in “good hands” with that company.

Finally, many many thanks to my parents. They have proved steadfast and supportive despite hearing of this latest and greatest automotive catastrophe. Somehow, they have continued to trust me to drive their cars, a series of short-term loaners that ferried me around when I was away from mass transit. I know that it was mostly due to their many hours of prayers that I was able to call them with an update and hear the words … “Glory Hallelujah!”

Amen.

P.S. Thanks to you, readers, for all your prayers to your various deities of choice.

No comments: