______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Grafton Take Two - Part One

While my spring vacation was filled with lots of quality time with the nieces and nephews, one of the other things I was excited to do was try to get to Grafton again. Back in January, my brother and I attempted to visit this historical site for the first time, only to be steered away by mud and spirits disguised as a canine Gandalf the Grey. Knowing J's work schedule, I wasn't sure it was going to happen on this visit. I was delighted when he volunteered to take us up after work one afternoon.

Fortune favored us on our second attempt. We got beyond the Dire Warning signs, down the formerly muddy roads, past what must have been Gandalf's ranch, and onto the back roads leading to Grafton. Our steed was J's mighty horse-powered four-wheel drive seen parked on the access road. Mom wasn't too keen on us using her car. Can't imagine why!
Grafton is guarded not only by the spirits of the past, but by two sets of gates that warn that you are being filmed. J doubted that there is film in the camera. I erred on the side of caution, smiled and waved, and thanked them for their vigilance. (Yes, I'm a New Yorker. I'm used to surveillance.)

Part of the reason for their vigilance is that some of the buildings are under restoration. Most of the wood work on the chapel/school and the major homestead are new. You can't go into these buildings, but you can look in and see the various deceased pests that did. If you ignore that grossness of that image (which I didn't record!) and focus on the rough beauty around, you marvel at the fortitude of the settlers. Wouldn't you put up with a lot to have these views? And they did put up with a lot.

You can really see the new wood work on this building. From all the signage, we think that this homestead was for one household, while directly across the way was the "old house" which was home to another wife. (Dates and information on the various historical markers bear this out.)
Completely different type of abode. Sadly, it is bigger than my New York apartment. While touring the interior of this house, part of my brain was playing realtor and writing the description.

Quaint historic property. Beautiful views. Natural light. Cozy rooms. Ecofriendly.

The reality ... not a lot of the natural light. Plus, from your front door you'd have to see what your "sister wife" was living in. Cozy rooms indeed. Watch your head. Wear closed-toed shoes. Wear shoes for that matter.
The two bedrooms are small. This is a narrow room with an exposed exterior wall. The current furnishing come with the place. You could fit a full-size tick mattress on that frame. Not much room beyond the foot board.
The second bedroom has views of some of your closest neighbors.
Heating is rustic, to say the least.
But there is plenty of wood nearby and you don't need a gym membership, as you'll be chopping your own. Indoor plumbing is non-existent, and water access is a problem. Except when it floods, which, apparently it did A LOT ... part of the reason why Grafton was abandoned and this is now a ghost town.

How the occupant of this abode ran a weaving business, and tended her house, husband, land, and family is amazing. Clearly I was born at the end of the right century because I definitely would NOT have hacked it as a pioneer.

Bordering the historical site are fields still actively owned by local ranchers. You saw the cows out the back window there. Some of the locals believe in recycling, in their own fashion. Metal comes from the earth, and now it's slowly being reclaimed by Mother Nature.

Reflecting on our visit,
I'm glad they are preserving the site, especially these red brick buildings. When I think ghost town though, I think of buildings more like the shack than the preservations-in-progress. It's walking through the rough wooden abode, peering into tiny rooms, ducking under lintels, and trying not to freak out at carcases of descicated insects, that made me appreciate the past even more. I suppose that's the point of the juxtaposition of the two buildings.

While J patiently waited for me (and called on nature), I finished rambling around. We realized that we should probably head back up the road, as we noticed that some serious clouds were starting to roll in.

Coming up next, the Grafton Cemetery and a breath of fresh air. In the meantime, here's a little ditty to keep you amused. An appropriate song, and a vision of another chapter in Grafton's past.

No comments: