______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Writers Block

I have long been envious of poets and authors who can use language to draw pictures in the mind, or can craft a well-turned phrase to summon sensations in a few simple words. I read a great deal, but occasionally I come across a passage or two that makes me stop. I have to go back, re-read the lines, and then sit and ponder them for a bit before moving on to the rest of the story. Beyond the joy of savoring of the language, or processing the emotion conjured up by the phraseology, I'm often filled with envy ... because I'm not a real "writer."

Take these passages from Lynne Hinton's Friendship Cake, for example. This a novel I read a few years ago, but have come across again in my library browsing.

… I sensed the stones of sibling rivalry as they pelted me with their grief-stricken stares. (Page 7).

Or this very important life lesson:

A heart can hold sadness a lot longer than it can anger.

…the sadness always outlasts the anger. You have to make an intentional decision either to give the anger up or to let it eat out the center of your spirit. Sadness can stay with a body for a lifetime. But with anger, you’ve got to choose.
(Page 8).

I know we all have our own gifts and talents and share them in different ways, but it's hard not to wish for a magic pen or a visit from a muse when you come across passages like these.

No comments: