______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ruth’s Brownies

It is amazing what you find when you clean out old Filofaxes. I wondered where this recipe had gotten to. This is an amazingly gooey brownie recipe that's too good not to share. I'm sure some of my other former colleaques will appreciate me posting it as a reminder.

This is courtesy of the much-missed Ruth, who left us New Yorkers to go home to
Newcastle-on-Tyne. Her Yorkshire Puddings are another culinary memory highlight. Another treat? Her very own Harry and Fred -- not named for the Harry Potter fame, but just as cute.

Ruth's Brownies

1 Box German chocolate cake mix
(NOTE: Has to be German chocolate. Regular chocolate cake mix does not work)
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 stick of butter (soft to melted)
1 bag of individually wrapped caramels (about 40)
8 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

NOTE: Do NOT mix cake mix according to the box directions.
Add 1/3 cup of the milk and butter to the dry cake mix and blend until smooth
If the batter is too dry, you can add a little more milk.

Add half of the cake mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13* baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Leave this bottom layer slightly under-done, as you will bake it again. If you are using a non-stick pan, you don’t need to grease the pan.

Unwrap the caramels.
In a small saucepan, melt the caramels and the other 1/3 cup of the milk over medium heat until smooth. Pour the melted caramel over the cooked brownie layer. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips, and spoon the remaining brownie batter on top. (Don’t try and spread the mix, just drop it on top.)

Bake at 350 degrees for another 10-15 minutes. (Cooking times may vary by stove, but top should be firm to touch).

Serve warm for a sugar shock.

* I used a 8x8 square pan.

1 comment:

Flax Hill Gardener said...

I am TOTALLY making those brownies this week.