______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, April 2, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Winding Down Memory Lane with Wendy

Besides my friend Jenn, "brother" Dan, and my relatives, one of the other people that I've known for the longest amount of time is my friend Wendy. Wendy and her youngest child Ms. Emily have been featured on this blog before, when they've visited NY and I've gone back up to CT.

It's a wonderful thing to have friendships that have survived the test of time, teens, tempestuous relationships, and have transcended periods of time with little to no communications. It's a scarey thing, however, when they have the photographic documentation and/or other evidence of the past that might, or might not, be incriminating. Being "preacher's kids" means that what might not seem incriminating to others is almost scandalous for us. Also, being "mature" examples to the next generation means that only we can know the details of our deep "dark" secrets.

From church halls, church grounds when we played "hookey" from classes, church dances, church camps, to being attendant at her first wedding (my first time as maid of horror/honor), to phone calls from Connecticut and Utah to discuss parents, siblings, and/or the "current state of affairs", and now New York visits with and without kids and spouses -- it doesn't seem like it's been almost 30 years.

Perhaps now, with pictures* and dates, Ms. Emily will FINALLY get that her crazy mom and I have actually know each other since before we were her age.

Thanks Ms. Wend. See you in NYC soon. We'll "tawlk!"
Flashback to 1986

Having dads of authority at church tends to draw kids together. It also makes you wish that maybe you aren’t such a goody-two-shoes in the eyes of the rest of the kids. Unfortunately what I can find for photos doesn’t help our case.

This is July 4th 1986 at a church picnic with our families. Nope, no trouble here.

How about girls camp that same year? Yet again just some good friends hanging out. I am glad we always had each other.


Now in the process of looking for photos my kids have discovered two things. I couldn’t spell back then and maybe I should be reported to hoarders for the odd things I have saved over the years. But I think I must have just known back then I would need something corny for this particular reason.


Yes, going to the mall and out for pizza was a big deal for me because if it didn’t have to do with school or church we didn’t really go anywhere. To me, Auntie Nettie, you were hip and happening since you would go off to New York City and other adventures.
Flashforward to 2011-201?:





*It was the 1980s. Be nice. Also, apparently my new 'do isn't as radical as I thought. What's old is new again.

No comments: