______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Amelia Amazes at Avalon

What can I say about Ms. Amelia? From naive mold-able inexperience young college graduate who survived the world's longest, most harrowing first interview experience, to new employee in need of much guidance in terms of basic functionality (i.e. learning how to do her own mail, helping her refine her conversational styles through applied use of flying objects and the $.05-$1.00 fine jar to extract certain terms from common usage), to a young woman about town, one Upper East Side-dwelling employee of a hedge fund--she certainly has come a long way "baybeeee!"

As she has wended her way these last six years, she's also become a source of much amuse-and amaze-ment. I can say that I know more about Ms. Amelia than I ever thought I would--most unfortunately, in some cases. While some things shall remain secluded under the mantle of the "game name" oath, and the "what happens on a roadtrip, remains on the roadtrip" mentality is a good way of leaving things way off-the-record, others are okay to share.

She is a Billy Joel-stalking, jazz-loving, "Wait-What?" young lady who is generous in sharing with with good friends and family. Don't cross her -- even though she'll give you far too many opportunities, you don't want to get the dreaded "BUHYEEE!" She's sneaky too. Even though a few of us have jokingly said that her current employer owes some of us a kick-back for getting them the Amelia they have presently, the karmic balance is more than even now. It was due to Amelia's wonderful generosity that the Avalon house was secured for our recent get-away. Her family had been vacationing there for more than 60 years, and she was excited to share it with us, and to bring her mom and grandmother to experience Avalon with her and her friends.

Thanks sweetie, for the escape and the wonderful birthday card with this message, and your many gifts!

Avalon, New Jersey Girls Weekend: March 23-26, 2012 - featuring Amelia, Christine, Alithia, Amelia's mom Ms. Debbie, Amelia's grammy Ms. Joyce, and Amelia's many many faces.


May 23, 2006: “Thank you for your interest in applying for the position of Development Assistant at Caramoor…”

I guess you could say this is the earliest memory I have of you … literally. Although, my mom and I like to reminisce about the day before I started at Caramoor, when we decided to do a test drive from my new apartment in Danbury to Katonah. We had driven through the grounds and were exiting through the back gate and there you were coming towards us … in the van. I think I quickly told my mom to duck – I didn’t want anyone to recognize me and wonder what the heck I was doing there a day early.

And so it began. My new office at my first real job – and you were my “roommate.” How lucky was I? How frightened were you? (Yeah – that’s probably more like it.)

I quickly grew to admire you and truly look up to you. You taught me what it meant to work hard, how important it was to be diligent and careful, and – of course – how to lose the “dude*” in my vocabulary. Mostly though – you put a silly twist on almost everything and we laughed – a lot. I knew we’d be friends forever. My only wish is that we had gotten to work together longer, but you were off to better yourself at the Big J. We couldn’t ever completely get rid of you and – really – thank goodness for that. Whether it was your annual tax appointment in Mount Kisco, one of our infamous game nights, or a girls’ getaway weekend to Newport or the Cape (and now, Avalon), we had plenty of excuses to still see each other.

To say that you’re one of the best people that I’ve ever known would only be an understatement. You are a giver in the truest sense. You give so much of your time, your talents and your kindness, never expecting anything in return. I probably don’t thank you enough and tell you just how much I appreciate you, but I hope you know nothing ever goes unnoticed. I feel like the lucky one, though, having such strong, amazing, independent women in my life. You know so much about lots of different things. I admire your writing, your [crafting], and – most of all – your baking.

So [Auntie Nettie], happy, happy, happy birthday to YOU! I hope this entire year brings you great health, some amazing memoires and exciting opportunities. I only hope Shushing is ready for the ride ….

With all my love,
Amelia xoxoxoxo


*I know where that "dude" went - to my vocabulary. Hopefully none of your other words leaks over into my life! Okay, Amelia?

No comments: