______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Recipes from Aunt Flora -- JTR's Coffee Bars

There are certain things that always remind me of my Grandma Roa. The smell of freshly brewed coffee is one of them. Coffee is one of the many prohibited consumables in my religion, so to smell coffee brewing at my house growing up, either meant that we visiting Grandma's house in Utah or she was visiting us in Connecticut or on the Cape.

Living and working in New York, the land of the coffee cart and coffee house on practically every street corner, and having the darn office coffee machine within 5 feet of my desk has pretty much inured me to the scent. Most of the time. (Unfortunately, I can tell which one of my colleagues has been in my office, by the smell of which ever Keurig pod they've used. Some coffee aromas are more distinctive than others.)

After spending time with Amelia's grandmother a few weeks ago, I was thinking about my family influences again, and so I pulled out the recipe book to bookmark new recipes to try. It took until one Sunday morning a week or so later to finally remember to buy a small cup of black coffee from the local 7Eleven so I could make this coffee bar recipe from Grandma Roa's sister's family.

I managed to get the coffee home without scorching my fingers too badly, and then had to reheat the cup by the time I got around to making this cake and the glaze.

It made me miss my Grandma--but not enough to want to finish off the cup, or to try this cake. I will leave that to my guinea pigs. (I actually dislike mocha flavor in anything -- it's must be the religious guilt.)

JTR's Coffee Bars

1/4 cup margarine (I used butter)
1 cup sugar, white
1 egg
1/2 cup hot coffee (I used regular, black)

Cream together margarine and sugar.
Add egg, and beat well.
Add coffee and mix well.

Sift together, and add to first mixture.
1 1/2 cup, flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I used about 1 full teaspoon)

Stir to blend well.

Grease oblong pan. Bake 15-20 minutes, at 350 degrees.

Let cool well, before adding the topping.

I added a handful of chopped pecans before I added 1 serving of the frosting. Since I used a big pan, I made another serving of the frosting, a bit thinner this time (more coffee) and spread that out, then tipped the pan in all directions to spread the glaze, then sprinkled another handful of nuts around. I let it sit out uncovered for a night before taking into work.


Topping:

Make a thin glaze icing with the following:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon hot coffee




No comments: