______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Letters from Roa S - Feb. 6, 1992

You know, when BOTH of your grandmothers start telling you not to work so hard and not to "burn your self out," you would think I would listen!

During a certain point in college I had a fascination with calligraphy pens, and used the various inks to illustrate letters, draw on envelopes, and to procrastinate when I should have been working or studying. That's what Grandma is referring to here.

Even though Grandma "just hate[d] to try & write so you have to understand," it's wonderful to look back through the binders I have of her letters and appreciate how many I actually do have, and have saved. More than the birthday check that probably came with this correspondence, these are the actual presents that withstand the test of time.

Feb 6 1992

Ogden, Utah

Dear [Granddaughter],

I’m real proud of you doing so good in school. Keep it up but don’t burn your self out. You have a while yet to go. Try to have a little fun out of it to[sic]. I’m sure it comes to you quiet[sic] easy because you read so much. Are you taking a writing class? The envalope[sic] looks real neat.

I haven’t been working but 1 day a week for the last 3 weeks. But I guess that is OK every little bit helps.

Cora has had the flu but she went to work today. We have had so much junk in the air you could get any thing. Cora says its from dirty money maybe so.

Everyone else is OK just the everyday things. Kids fall down & mothers take care of them. Aren’t you glad you don’t have to worry about that sort of thing. I sure am.

… you know I just hate to try & write so you have to understand I don’t make much since[sic] & I don’t think I’ll try much more.

I’m going to send this with your Card. Dad said to send it to their address so I will. I hope you have a good birthday. The older you kids get the older I do to[sic] but I guess that’s the way things are & it won’t change.

Lots of Love

Grandma

No comments: