______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Letters from Ollie J - Feb. 1, 1991

The night before I took my first college exams, the U.S. decided to start bombing -- what would become known as the first Gulf War aka Desert Storm. Needless to say, not much studying took place that night as we were all running around trying to get information. Remember, there was no Internet/Twitter/cell phones - so the lines for the land-line payphones were long and speculation ran rampant. Only a few people had tvs in their rooms, and even fewer had tvs with access to new fangled shows like CNN, so we were crammed into spaces glued to the tube, or running around the halls.

On top of that, a winter storm passed over Westchester, not with winter snows, but with freaky blue lightening and loud, scarey thunderstorms. (And I love thunderstorms, but these were creepy). Watching bombs fly on the tvs, illuminated via the eerie green light of nightscopes, along with a blue lightening crashing outside, will make anyone a little disconcerted. As college freshmen we were also young enough to start worrying about a draft
... and/or the end of the world.

20 years later. More unrest in the Middle East. How much, and yet how little, things have changed.


1 Feb 1991

The Farm
Pikeville, NC

Dear [Granddaughter],

Thanks so much for Birthday Card and a Note leting[sic] me know what you think and are doing.

You are right things have a eary[sic] fealing[sic]. War isn’t Pretty anytime. Then there is so much talk and show on TV. Keeps every one uneasy and sad.

I had intended to write earler[sic]. Had a cold and all wanted to do was sleep. Its cold here today.

Hope you can get your working hours changed. We all should be at church on Sunday. The Spirit of Gods love and our knowledge of Gospel will help take some of Gloom away.

Glad you got a good roommate Found other friends too.

Be careful driving around. Choose company carefully. Where you go is important too. Could cause trouble. No disgrace to say No - when you are prompted to do so. You will never really loose frinds[sic] by being honest.

So glad you are loving Collage[sic] and hope you can make good use of it. Makes a big difference being away from Home. Yes I know Parents can seem uncaring at time but really they are thinking of your good.

Honey I am glad I can help you fiance[sic] and the rest is up to with the Lords Help you can make it. Try to look on the bright side of Life.

This is something I want you to remember your grandpa Loved you. So I am sure he will be prompting you if he Can. This may sound weared[sic]. But could be comforting too. So Listen to good Promptings. And don’t Forget to pray especially when you are in doubt.

We all need to Thank our Blessing.

I have a new G-nephew He’s a cutie.

I have a Baby Shower gift to Finish. Put a cute hem in a receiving Blanket – a sister at church.

Write me your thoughts often that might help to decide what way to take.

I Love you and wish you will[sic] in all you choices in life.

Be Careful in your driving No law says you got to speed.

Share a Happiness
And it is doubled
Share a sorrow
And it Lessons[sic].

Love and God Bless you

GrandMa

No comments: