______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, July 2, 2010

Summer Fridays/Weekends 2010 - Part Three

aka Sunday in the Park with Tammy and the Kids, June 6, 2010

Every time I visit the New York Botanical Garden I get to experience it a little differently. This time I got to bring along my college friend and former Caramoor colleague and her kids, J & J, and we explored the many offerings for kids and the young-at-heart.

We had had this excursion in the plans for months. Between softball, basketball, soccer, Girl Scouts, shared custody arrangements, and then my travel and event schedule, we had to plan ahead. Fortunately, nothing interfered with the plans, aside from a bit hot and muggy weather. What a relief!

I had met with Tammy a few days before had to lend her my membership card, so she could take advantage of my guest parking pass. She and the kids drove down and I took the train to meet up with them. We all had brought along picnic lunches and lots of water, so we had just about as many bags as people.

Right near the Main Entrance is the Everett Children's Adventure Garden, with mazes, hands-on activities, gigantic topiaries, interactive water features, and a giant sidewalk for coloring. There's also an activity center run by local students where families and kids can plant seeds, look for bugs, rest in the a.c., color postcards, make wishes, and generally explore.

Then we were off to the picnic grounds to refresh and refuel. We also got to feed the local wildlife. It was a very quiet day in the Park, so we had much of the grounds to ourselves, including the picnic area. We fed some already fat squirrels and birds with our leftovers.

After a trek through the woods, we found the bridge and the waterfall (which didn't impress Tammy's son too much -- too tiny for some jaded explorers), and then were off to the Rita Rea Howell Family Garden which some of the docents kindly opened a bit early for the kids. They got to water plants, plant seeds, dig for worms, paint pictures, braid bracelets out naturally dyed fabric, look at bunnies, see the beehives on top of the bathrooms, and explore and hang out for a bit.

I have to give the kids credit. It was HOT. It was muggier than a Southern Swamp (and I should know. I had just gotten back from one.). We were all sweaty. They held out longer than I thought they would. Sadly, the promised tram ride around the grounds and back to the gates did not materialize. It was just too crowded and Tammy and I were keeping a weather eye out for the impending nasty afternoon thunderstorms. After some whining and cajoling, and a promise of drinks and ice cream, we got the kids back through the woods to the Main Entrance and the air conditioned snack area.

Water, a.c., and ice cream are great things. Everyone was MUCH happier, even if some cooler pretween didn't want to admit it. I know that we girls had fun. It's also hard when you have kids of different ages. Next trip we'll have to try the Bronx Zoo and see how that goes over. It's the same train stop and after getting lost on the way home, Tammy now knows how to head north. With our schedules though, we'll have to start planning for the fall right now!

Here's a little photo montage of the day from my perspective. I thought it was important for me to document Tammy doing things with the kids. She needs to be in the pictures too!



The Gardens would be so much fun to bring all of my nieces and nephews to explore. If only they all lived closer.

No comments: