______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Letters from Ollie J - July 22, 1994

Note: I had relocated from my first post-college apartment to the first in a series of studios about this time. I was settling in, and actually had applied to work at Caramoor -- though I didn't hear from them until late in August. Little did I know that this was par for the course.

The summer of 1994 was busy and interesting: moving, commuting to NYC, enjoying my neighbor's kids and the pool in the backyard, and the first trip to Utah to see relatives in about 10 years. Now that I think about it, that was the last "regular" summer until I started working at the Big J. I'm finally getting BACK to that kind of summer.

22 July 1994

[The Farm
Pikeville, NC]

Dear [Granddaughter],

What a sloffl[sic] grand ma you have should have written you long ago. So many things or changes for you. Probely[sic] sent it to the wrong place. Because am hoping you are settled in a good place now and Happy in work.

Thanks for much for the pictures and the newsy letter.

We have been dry and hot here for a while Now it is thunder storms and rain. (Not as heavey[sic] rain as in some places.) So – the grass is growing. Mow ever week. Quite a chore. Got a bushel of peaches and canned part and froze part of them. Good flavored and ripe. Look nice on shelf.

Am proud you stuck to the books and studied hard. And all worked but good. Hope work is becoming more interesting and easer[sic] to do.

Well it is only a week and I’ll be in SLCity. How time flies. Getting excited too.

Now to select and pack things to take. What a chore. Always pack to[sic] much.

Are you going out with your parents to Reunion? Don’t recall any one saying.

Its fogy[sic] here this morning.

Want to mop my floor this morning and Finish a dress. But if don’t get dress done I will wear something else. So not all that important.

Keep the good work and keep smiling.

I’ll try to write again sooner next time to[sic].

We leave 28 July. Back 19 Aug.
A Cousin Lucille is going with me. Hope she has a good time she has never been. Yes her Husband is dead. We make a good team. If dries off want to mow yard before I leave. [Lucille's picture is up on the June 20, 2010 post.]

Love You

Grandma

No comments: