______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Adventures of The Shushing Librarian - Part Three

S.L. here again. Sorry about the delay in posting the rest of my travel/food critique of the North Carolina trip with Auntie Nettie and Grandmary. I was in a swoon from all the yummy sexy men-in-towels and scholars advocating on behalf of libraries. It took me a few days to recuperate enough to post again. Weren't you distracted too?

Anyway ...

So, where was I? Oh yes. In North Carolina eating my way from barbeque joint to barbeque joint. However ... I did make an exception one day for a donut. Way back in the day, before it franchised and expanded all over America, Krispy Kreme donuts were a Southern delicacy. Grandmary remembers eating them in her youth. One Sunday on the trip, on a futile trip around a sleepy town looking for a florist, having ducked out of church early, she drove us down the strips and drags of her youth to find one of the old Krispy Kreme stores. Alas, it had been replaced by a newer building, full of new flavors and conveniences like a drive-through. That didn't stop the "girls" from getting "two originals to go, please."Did they share? What do you think? HA!I imagine this is what niece Amber looks like when she inhales contraband carbohydrates.As you can see, they DID NOT share the donut with me, but they did give their opinions. To summarize: Krispy Kremes just aren't the same anymore. They are fine, but something's been lost in all the growth over the years -- they aren't as special now that you can get them at the local 711 or QuickEstop. Plus, honestly, we've all had better.

One of the things that we all agreed on was how wonderful Smithfield's barbeque is. The family used to be all about going to Wilber's, but subsequent trips have swayed family opinions. The consensus from all the cousins is that Smithfield's is the way to go. Plus it was a local joint that was embraced by the community and has now expanded beyond the original store in, you guessed it, Smithfield. Even late at night, it's a hopping joint with vintage and unique touches. On our first visit, it was late, so we didn't get a lot. A pulled pork and coleslaw sandwich with a side of hushpuppies. No fries on this trip. It was so good, and just enough. After the initial hunger was staved off, I got to examining the decor. It certainly wasn't the usual barbeque joint/fast food decor.
Turns out that silver screen legend Ava Gardner was born near Smithfield, and the restaurant had lots of memorabilia to celebrate their local-girl-gone-Hollywood. There's an Ava Gardner museum downtown (here's all I got to see on our quick drive down the main strip -- no time on this trip), and there are streets named after her and she's buried in town.Grandmary and Ms. Ava were not amused by my antics with a camera in the restaurant. Being good Southern women, they did not deem it appropriate. I GOT SHUSHED! How ironic.(This should be captioned: Don't make me throw this hushpuppy at you!)

Smithfield's ended up being the restaurant chain of choice on this trip, with the "girls" eating at least three meals from there. Pints of barbeque and a dozen hushpuppies were even purchased to take home to GrumpMax. Somehow, only about 9 hushpuppies actually made it to CT. Auntie Nettie claims to have "no idea what happened!" All I know is that I didn't eat them.

Oh well. The one other culinary highlight of this trip was the presence of hot sauce on the table of every restaurant we visited. Even the Denny's at the beginning of the trip. Why can't we lobby to have this in Northern restaurants too?! Even though I may look all buttoned up and/or repressed in my librarian gear, I'm spicy on the inside ... just like I like my food!This entry concludes my culinary review of the North Carolina Roadtrip. The unfortunate side-effect of all this posting is that I'm craving barbecue! Sadly, Auntie Nettie is off food right now, and there's nothing in the fridge in her studio. I have high hopes for some culinary explorations when I stay with Christine and Bob. That girl can cook! (No offense, Nettie.)

Stay tuned for my reports on my future Amazing Adventures. I'll leave you with some hints: it involves more hogs. LOTS of them!

No comments: