______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Letters from Ollie J - June 20, 2000

Photos as of May 2010

The North Carolina crossroads that were home to Grandma;
View of Ms. Lucille's diary farm, a familiar sight to Grandma Ollie. Ms. Lucille and Grandma Ollie were cousins and best friends. They visited a lot, on the farm, at the trailer, at Lucille's house, and on the phone;
Ms. Lucille, still beautiful, active, driving, and living alone at 91;
Views from Ms. Lucille's gardens - her lilies and a bird box (below).



20 June 2000

[The Trailer
Pikeville, NC]

Dear [Granddaughter],

What a lift your letter was. I am Fealing[sic] Fine compared to days earler[sic]. I hurt my back. Picked up something to[sic] heavy. I’ll try to think more clearer before do that again. Took me a month to get over it. Twas rather painful too.

Am sure you have been bussy[sic]. But hope you enjoy your work.

Oh so glad you have thought serously[sic] about a change School And hope you Feal[sic] good about the answer or decision. Hope it goes well. One day at a time may help lots.

No don’t give up your music entirely. Can be lots of Company and help settle nerves.

Total retire isn’t good for any one. Work Church in some too. Helps clear the mind.

No don’t want to get overloaded either But do need to be busy helps body and mind Busy.

I don’t have enough to do. Yes I help some in yard Pull weads[sic] and Joint grass. Water plants (Flowers) a little while at the time. Will put in a quilt this evening. So will have something else to do. Only work a while and take a nap. I will go with [cousin] Carol to tak[sic] [Carol's brother] Bruce to work and get my medecine[sic]. Wish could stop taking pills But see much chance of that.

Do feal[sic] lots better. Strong so pills must help.

Oh we had a good ½ rain yesterday evening. Cooled air some too. Cloudy today may rain more. It had gotten quite dry here.

Sew pretty Birds. Have them in Bird Box. I watch them going and coming. The Bird feeder you sent has helped but they don’t like it as well as loose feed.

Thank[sic] so much for the letter and news. I love you and may God bless and guide you in you[sic] decisions.

Loads of Love

Grandma

1 comment:

Gwendolen Elaine said...

That is just the sweetest letter from your granny!She has some incredibly good advice.