______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Retroblog June 20, 1983

Today is June 20 1983 Time 4:30 p.m.

Today Dawn asked me to go swimming, I couldn't believe my ears. Dawn didn't like me cause pestered her to go swimming. But had a good time anyway. This afternoon she asked me to go again I couldn't go. So she came over and played What fun!!!!

Dawn was a local neighbor girl that my parents did not particularly like too much, partly because of that pool, but partly for other reasons which became clear as we got older. She wasn't quite fond of my parents' authority over my brothers and me, especially the fact that we were made to do chores. After expressing her "opinion" of us being forced to work like slaves in front of my mother one time (with me pantomiming the "stop now while you're ahead" rapid shaking of my head behind my mother's back), Dawn was summarily dismissed from our house. Dawn wasn't seen at our house or in our yard too much after that, nor were we really friends for too much longer. The transition from elementary to middle, and then high school, had something to do with that, as did popularity issues, etc. I can't remember when Dawn moved away finally. I can't even remember her last name.

This documented period of my life was probably the last time I was happy about going swimming. Adolescence and body image issues were looming on the horizon. Swim suits are still my least favorite articles of clothing, and I don't even own one now. I love the beach. I HATE beach wear.

No comments: