______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, June 22, 2009

Letters to Loved Ones

Dearest nieces and nephews,

I don’t think you will ever know how much I enjoy our time together. I don’t know how much you’ll remember these visits when you get older. I hope you can look back at this blog and see a record, however imperfect, of the time we spent together. Maybe it can be a way for you to know how much I treasure each of you, and our infrequent visits.

Your smiles, infectious giggles, exuberant hugs, sloppy kisses, “bumps, props, and magic fingers,” our picnics at the park, car rides, dining with your parents, our solo outings to the Golden Arches, snuggling up for stories, many, many games of Candyland, I Spy, and yes, even those temper tantrums, poopy diapers, and sassy moments … I enjoy them all.

Watching you learn to scoot, stand, walk, and then run, baby babble, communicate through grunts and signs, and then talk a mile a minute, how you “read,” mimic your Mamas, and then assert your feisty independence ... I marvel at your growth. Witnessing these milestones with my own eyes means the world to me, and makes me realize, once again, that time passes too quickly.

I am so happy that you’re getting old enough to spend alone time with your wacky Auntie. I appreciate your parents letting us have quality time together. They may think that I’m helping them out, by taking you places and offering to baby-sit so they can run errands at nap time or go on a date. Really, I was being selfish. I know you’ll soon to be too old to think I’m any fun at all, or you’ll be busy doing your own things and you won’t want to have anything to do with me. I’m storing up quality time together now before it’s too late.

Know that, even though I’m far away and you don’t see you too often, I love you beyond the restrictions of miles, time, and space.

All my love,
Auntie Nettie

Favorite Quotes of the trip:
Hey … um … Grandma? ~ Confused Drew
I don’t want to see you anymore. I see you too much when you are here. ~ Cranky Drew
I am not a kid. I’m a children. ~ Emphatic Amber
Poppa? ~ Very Confused Elle

No comments: