______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Spring in the Country

It was so good to get out of the concrete jungle and visit my friend and family in Connecticut last weekend. I got to enjoy a bit of spring in the country.

The lawn at my folks was covered in white, lilac, and deep indigo violets, and the entire south side of the garage was rimmed six inches deep. It was so pretty. Sadly, the lawnmower man came by and returned the lawn to its uniform green color.
Winter snows had collapsed part of the hedges around the property, creating a little window.

Look at this little treasure. Luckily, the Blue Jays that were the prior tenants of this nest were not available for comment.

I also managed to see our azaleas in bloom.
On a trip to the old homestead, it's always interesting to see the hacienda and the old neighborhood and to mark the changes. The house has changed colors in the last year, there are trees down in the side yards which open up new vistas on the other lots on the block, and the noise pollution is increasing, as are other "elements."

The most remarkable change on this journey, however, was the addition of some barricades to the corner of the lot. My father claims it is to deter snowplows from raking up the lawn and to prevent cars from sliding down the hill and into the porch during the icy winters. I think it really marks the beginning of my father's final assimilation from a westerner to a Yankee. For centuries, New Englanders have been building dry stone rock walls to clear the land and create boundary markers for their propery. It kept livestock in and helped to keep intruders out. After more than 25 years, my father is finally building his walls on his land.

Here's the start.

Here's what a vintage Vermont wall looks like, courtesy and copyright Jared C. Benedict.
This isn't the first rock wall building project that my father has undertaken. Along with the members of his local congregation, he helped to restore the walls around the church's property, but that was over ... YIKES ...that was a LONG time ago, because I helped when I was a teenager.

It takes a long time to be considered a true New Englander, but I submit that voluntarily building rock walls on your property is a definite sign that the region is now in your blood.

1 comment:

Flax Hill Gardener said...

Oh no! Not your dad, too! My dad's favorite past time is building dry rock walls. It's a running joke in our family because he has to rebuild one each year becuase the plow guy knocks it down.