______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, May 29, 2009

An open letter to TLC

Dear TLC,

I am hereby boycotting your entire channel. You used to be a quality source of information and entertainment. I used to spend entire nights and weekends solely tuned to your program lineup. (Well, before you fired Paige anyway. Since then it’s been hit or miss.) I would still occasionally stop on by to visit with Stacy and Clinton, the Roloffs, and to see the antics of the various large families. Not anymore.

I am appalled that, despite misgivings last season from one father on a certain show, (you know which one I’m talking about), you have chosen to renew the program. As the events of the summer unfolded, and are still continuing to unfold in the media, I am even more appalled that the program has not been pulled off the air … FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN.

These are impressionable young children, NOT actors, who have been thrust into the limelight. Over the last few seasons, the editing and footage aired has made it clear, to me, at least, that at least the older set of children have issues. The younger set of multiples is approaching the age when they will be entering public school, if they haven’t already. Before the mess that is now embroiling their parents became public, that factor should have been considered as well. Now they all have to deal with fame, paparazzi, stress between their parents, isolation, and an endless time period of speculation from their peers and the public.

For the sake of those children, I have imposed my own blackout of all coverage of this mess. I turn the channel when the “news” brings it up. I don’t read articles about it. This will be my only statement about it. If only I could, I would get others to join me in boycotting the program and watching your channel. Even more importantly, I would start a campaign to boycott the purchasing of products from any and all advertisers on the program and your channel.

When you bring back a real quality Learning Channel, TLC, perhaps I might visit you again.

But until then, Shame on you.

Sincerely,

Auntie Nettie

3 comments:

moosh in indy. said...

Ooh, I totally agree with you on "that show," TLC has gone downhill and the only thing I really like anymore is Shalom in the Home. But who knows if TLC is going to renew it.
I've got your back.

Anonymous said...

As a parent of multiples and more, I agree.

Anonymous said...

Agree...