______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Legal Linguistics

Note to all those in the legal profession:

When leaving messages about the status of any legal action, never use the words "held over" or "over." "Over" has connotations of finality and/or completion. If the trial has been postponed, deferred, delayed, moved to another date, on hiatus, in recess, not happening anytime soon, etc. USE ONE OF THOSE WORDS INSTEAD.

Think about the recipient. They may be retrieving voice messages via their cell phones while on train platforms. Their reception may be spotty and muddled by loud background noises. Your use of "over" may leave the listener with the sense that maybe a long, arduous four-year process may be finally over ... A bit of optimism which could be promptly squashed (to bits) upon hearing the rest of the words in the message, especially the part about "until June 2."

Second and third listening of your message under better conditions may confirm that, in fact, "over" doesn't really mean "over."

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Auntie Nettie

P.S.
I know it's not over until it's over, but I'm SO over this whole legal mess already. People really choose to be in the legal profession? People choose to torment other people with ongoing legal actions? People choose to do this sometimes intentionally?

Query: When is "over" really, really, truly "OVER" when it comes to lawsuits and trials?

Answer: Wait. Don't answer that. Just continue to pray to the dietie(s) of your choice that it is really "over" soon, settled amicably out of court, without my presence in a courtroom, without affecting my pocketbook, and without the possibility of the issue rearing its head again.

I'm off to console myself with caffeine and lots of big fat carbs and to count down until the time when my plane ticket precludes me from being on the East Coast. Like around the time when the next trial date is "supposed" to occur!

No comments: