______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Impulse Writing

You know how therapists and anger management counselors often advise their patients to write letters to purge negative emotions? How there’s something about the act of putting pen to paper, or more modernly, banging away at a keyboard, that lets out the frustrations and negates the stupidity that you may have to encounter?

I wish I could take credit for this one, but it comes courtesy of a usually very mild-mannered colleague. This is the version of the follow-up letter that she did not send to a donor. I can’t imagine why; all of us in the office felt better after reading it and then cackling with glee.

Dear Dr. X:

Thanks for your recent letter. I am sorry you took up your cranky pen and stopped me from doing some worthy and real work today.

I should let you know that I personally monitor all of the airline and Amtrak schedules as well as the performance calendars of every single performing arts organization in the United States, and then highlight all of the concerts that feature students on scholarship. I then invite all donors to hear their scholarship recipients perform in their local venues. Alas, this is not true. I am not clairvoyant, nor omniscient and omnipotent. Additionally, I do not know who will get a particular scholarship before he or she performs in your local performing arts theater.

In the future, when our students perform at the Kennedy Center or Carnegie Hall, I will ask them to give you, and just you, a “shout out” from the stage, just in case you are in the audience or on the off chance that they are lucky enough to receive your scholarship sometime in the future.

I do hope you will make up for your cranky letter with a huge check. Perhaps you meant to enclose it?

Sincerely,
Jane Doe


Next time we get "cranky" letters, I'm tempted to send the first version of our reactions and not the second "polite" one. Who's with me?

No comments: