______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Recipes from Ollie J -- Another Apple Cake

When the calendar flips to September, I automatically start thinking of baking weather. The phantom aromas of baking spices like cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon start haunting me. Despite the humidity, the thermometer, or the logic, I have to fire up the oven.

I bought a pound of so of apples as part of my Hurricane Irene preparations, and since I was spared her wrath, figured I better use them up before they went bad. I cut it close; two had completely gone to moldy mush at the bottom of the bowl.

I hadn't done a Grandma recipe lately, so I pulled out Grandma Ollie J's little yellow recipe box looking for one of the first apple cake recipes I featured at the start of the culinary exploration. You know what? I couldn't find that card. I don't know where it is.

Instead I found another Apple Cake recipe, calling for more apples. A perfect way to use up supplies, and to take to the office to start up another school year.

Apple Cake
1 ½ cup oil
(olive)
2 cups sugar
(white)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
(added another teaspoon)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups flour

Add and blend well

3 cups peeled and chopped apples
½ cup nuts (used some of the last of the NC/Grandma Ollie J family farm pecans, frozen since 1996, for a bit of authenticity)

Bake 350 degrees
50-60 minutes

Here's another instance of the recipe not telling us what size pan. With all these ingredients, it's fairly obvious that it needs to be a 9x13 pan. As for the cooking time, even through the oven had been pre-heated at 350 for over 2.5 hours thanks to the other two batches of brownies and cakes I made that afternoon, it took longer than 50-60 minutes. At the prescribed time, it was still "soupy" in the middle. I kept cooking it at 10 minute intervals until it was firm-ish, probably another 20-30 minutes. Then I turned the oven off and let it set for a bit before I transferred it to wire racks to cool over night.

For a gourmet topping, before I started baking it, I liberally garnished the batter with sugar crystals for a nice crunch.

We'll see what the office taste testers have to say. As of this writing, I don't know which office is getting it. I'm taking three pans of treats to work. I.T. is definitely getting something, but I don't know who is getting this Apple Cake.

Pardon the bad cell phone photo.

No comments: