______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Recipes from Ollie J -- Peanut Fudge Candy

On my most recent trip to Connecticut, I managed to snag Grandma's recipe box from Mom before she packed it away for relocation in her new Western domicile. I had to promise that I wouldn't keep it, but nothing was said about when exactly I had to give it back to her. In the meantime, I going to keep poking through it to find gems, like this one;

Peanut Fudge Candy
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup syrup (Karo)
1 1/4 cup dry milk
1 1/4 cup confectionery sugar (powdered)

Mix all ingredients well, then make little ball and press to 1/4 inch thickness.

The first time I perused recipes in Grandma's box (last fall), I passed right over this one. I don't know about you, but dry milk isn't something that just everyone keeps in their pantry these days. I know I didn't have any, or powdered sugar either. That is, until Mom decided that it would be smarter not to pay the freight charges to haul part of her food storage back to Utah and instead bequeath a copious assortment of dry and canned goods to me. (50 pounds of white flour anyone?!) Two of the vintage '70s Tupperware containers (in bright yellow, thank goodness, not avocado green) that ended up in my larder just so happen to be full of .... you guessed it, confectionery sugar and dry milk. Go figure. Along with 4 large jars of creamy peanut butter ... I guess I was really supposed to try and make this fudge candy.

[later that afternoon]

Well, I was GOING to make this, but when I opened the container with the dry milk in it, the whiff I got was so FOUL I couldn't stand it. A little unscientific research via a search engine backed up my initial inclination to discard that stuff and bleach the unholy heck out of the Tupperware.

I will attempt to make these later.

Dry milk smells GROSS! Sour and foul, and JUST GROSS! YELCH!

Friends don't let friends -- let their dry milk go bad!

No comments: