______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Letters from Ollie J - Nov. 3, 1991

This would have been my sophomore year of college, about mid-terms, so I was probably beginning to stress out, and trying to do too much, as usual.

Thanks to Grandma Ollie and Grandpa Jack I was able to attend an out-of-state, private, four-year, undergraduate liberal arts college, and, with the addition of Mom and Dad's sacrificing, generous financial aid packages that included work study jobs and merit scholarships, to graduate with only about $6,000 in student loans. Which is remarkable, really, considering that I'm still paying off grad. school.

We were all raised to take our education seriously, and, knowing how hard the grandparents and parents worked to pay for it, we didn't take it for granted. Throw in the guilt in knowing that Grandpa Jack was surely keeping an eye on me from beyond the Pearly Gates, well, let's just say, I didn't skip too many classes and still feel badly about getting a B- in my first English course my freshman year, (though I deserved it), this many years later.

3 Nov 1991

[The Farm
Pikeville, NC]

Dear GrandDaughter,

I am at home been here all afternoon. Getting a few things straightened out (Bills) – Tithing – light- paper man)

Uncle Hyrum and I went to Church and had almost a family reunion. Old friends had returned for a visit after 14 years. Lived in our ward 2-2 ½ years. They buried a little boy while in Goldsboro named Todd. He was a sweet child and very sick. Can’t recall what they called his sickness. We had a good Testimony meeting. They shaired[sic] theirs with us.

It has been quite a Cool to Cold day here and rained lightly all afternoon. Yes I have a fire in heater. Feals[sic] good

Have been busy at Temple – as we went up Tuesday. Worked two days and did sessions. Thursday did what was ask to do. Friday was a little busier. More people came and Saturday too.

Plan to work till or through 14 Dec 1991 and come home for a change. Don’t want to be on icy roads during the winter. Not sure when we will return to the Temple as Temple workers.

Took paper with me to answer your nice and welcomed letter. No didn’t find the time to do so.

Sounds like you have a busy life. Not over loading yourself are you? No need to cause a nervous break down. It causes to[sic] many Problems. Core Credit Class? Not firmillia[sic] with it. Decissions[sic] are always around. Stay in tune with the Holy Spirit and you will be helped in many ways. Hope you are getting church meetings in. That’s important too.

So glad you like or Love school and that too makes it easer[sic] to do.

Tell me about some of your friends. Yes there are all kinds. Good & Bad. Sad and Happy.

My work at temple surely has helped me. And Learn or meet many people from many places. I Love them and learn from them. Things of great worth.

Pray for inspiration about a job and where. The Lord wants to help us help our selves but we should humble our selves and ask him if our decisions are right.

I’m wondering if I should stop my work at temple and give others a chance to learn to Love the work there. I have had many years at it now and know can’t do as well as when I began.

Oh I feal[sic] farely[sic] good most of time for a Old grandma.

Yes “growing up” is hard. Adjusting from a young girl to a young adult. Many decissions[sic] which affect all our life are to be made. And shouldn’t be made in hast[sic] but with a lot of thought.

It’s hard for Mom & Dad to watch you group up. Maybe even let you make mistakes so you can grow there from. So don’t be to[sic] hard on them. Even stay close so Love can grow one to another.

Glad to know to where you are working. Hope you love it to[sic]. A chance to get to know People too.

Who is your room mate this year?

… you say Thanks for my help. So glad am in a posittion[sic] to help some. Parents – grandparents or others can help financially[sic] but you can make it work for good or waist[sic] it. It’s mostly up to you. But GrandPa would say you got what it takes to make it work so go after it. Honey he surely did love you. And he left some of the money you are using for your education and could even be watching you as you work – with Love and Admiration.

Take care of yourself and God bless you in your studies and work. I Pray always

With Love

Grandma

No comments: