______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Sno' more Denial

I've been in denial that it's actually winter. I've been running around in my fall coat, summer dresses, and shoes with no socks for as long as possible. I was getting some strange looks on the train platform, but I didn't care. I wasn't ready for it to be winter, no matter what the calendar said last week. I don't mind the cold, to an extent, but I dislike the frozen precipitation a very great deal. Clear and cold is fine. Snow and wet seeping into my socks is not. Icy sidewalks? NO thank you. They call me "grace" for a reason. Too many slips and falls have left their mark upon me.

I've also been avoiding the holiday season. I've been tuning out Christmas songs, screaming "bah humbug!" at commercials on the t.v., and trying to avoid holiday cheer in general. Part of my denial stems from the over commercialization of Christmas -- which begins as early as the week after freaking LABOR DAY! That's almost a quarter of the year with some sort of holiday merchandising -- not to mention the Christmas in July blitz that we get. That's enough to turn anyone into Scrooge. Whatever happened to celebrating Thanksgiving, and THEN thinking about Christmas? Who has money to spend spend spend on all those things that marketers think that we must buy in order to prove our love to our loved ones, friends, and frenemies?

All ranting aside ... I finally decided to get into the holiday mood. On my own terms and to a very small degree. I'm going to celebrate the holidays in a pared-down, old-fashioned, crafty kind of way. I have awarded Thanksgiving its due. The calendar now reads December, and some snow has fallen, so it's time. Some presents have been created, gathered, shipped, and/or exchanged to very dear friends. Baking has commenced. I even have decided to put up a snow covered Christmas tree, my first in about 10 years.

I saw this guy on Sunday, but he's too big for my apartment, plus the snow melted and pelted me in the face.

So, I think I'm going stick to this one instead. It's more representative of me anyway. Hopefully I'll continue to feel like "decking the halls" instead of wanting to deck everyone in sight.

No comments: