______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, August 7, 2009

Retroblog August 7, 1983

Today is August 7, 1983 Time 3:17 p.m.

HI! Two things happened nice this week. I had fun.

West Hartford Children's Museum
Lebanon Country Fair


Once again, my descriptive powers overwhelm me. Honestly, what was the point of even writing this down if I wasn't going to provide more details?

I apparently I figured that out, because the notes about the museum and the fair were added in later.

Knowing our summer schedules, this was probably a day-trip to the museum in West Hartford. We lived about an hour a half from that side of the state, and the boys were too young for sports camp, so Mom probably used this excursion to get us all out of the house. I don't remember much about the museum, but I do remember climbing on a giant outdoor concrete whale/dinosaur/fish structure, either on this trip or another one. With one girl who hated being outside and sweaty and two active little boys, Mom must have had a dickens of a time with day-trips. Chauffeur, wrangler, tour guide, parent ... How did she do it with three?

We most likely went to the fair on a Friday or a Saturday. Except for the explosion of fried food vendors, the fair probably was pretty much the same as it is now. I'm sure we spent a lot of time in the animal pens and not so much time on the rides. Again, knowing Mom's allergy situations, how did she manage with all the hay, hair, dust, and other allergens at a fair? Poor woman.

1 comment:

testmonkey said...

Hey, I remember that museum with the giant whale outside. And I remember the fair, too.

Someday, when they invent transporters, I shall have to take the girls to that museum. 'Cause heaven knows I'm not flying with these little people.