______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, August 21, 2009

Retroblog August 21, 1983

Today is Sun. Aug. 21, 1983 Time 4:14 p.m

This week was o.k. We went to the beach Tuesday and fun. Mom got pooped and girls camp. Tomorrow I might get to go to Sturbiges Village with Merrie Miss from Norwich If dad says yes. Mom already did.


So maybe Mom didn't have such a relaxing time at girls camp after all?

In this entry we have references to more church-related social activities with the most local congregations, the one located in Norwich, CT. Girls camp was usually attended by leaders and youth from all the congregations in the region, so Mom probably made these arrangements for me at camp. Another way to get one of the kids, at least, out of the house, so she could recuperate from camp. (We also have a reference to the classic child/parent divide&conquer/play-on-off-the-other technique.)

My brothers and I have fond memories of going up to Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts. Another perennial day-trip excursion for the family and a standard school trip for most New Englanders, we all remember running around, seeing the animals, going to the general store to buy penny candy, watching the blacksmith, and getting freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. While most of the Village was trying to be historically accurate, I don't think Nestle Tollhouse's chocolate chip cookie recipe had been invented yet. Who cares? Which ever marketing person okayed this was brilliant!

No comments: