______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Crafty Cakes

I might have previously mentioned that occasionally I suffer from EBS (Enviable Blog Syndrom) and CIC (Crafter Inferiority Complex), which is brought on by spending too much time reading the various crafting blogs out there in the Webosphere. Sometimes the symptoms lie dormant for month and years, until I'm attacked by a bout that can't be ignored. The only source of relief is to spend time studying recipes and tutorials, by making shopping lists or browsing through craft stores in search of supplies, and by getting reacquainted with the glue gun.

With the sudden increase of "bling and binkies" in the office, there will be many showers and parties in the office to celebrate these milestones of life. I volunteered to make a centerpiece for one of the baby showers, because I had been waiting for an opportunity to try my hand at making the Diaper Cake I had first read about over on homemadebyjill. This is her beauty. She even made the freaking flowers. Gorgeous, isn't it?


Photo courtesy of homemadebyjill

In my case, I was making a baby shower centerpiece for two lovely ladies who are having a girl, and who love purple and blue, tulips, and sunflowers. I altered the design so it would look more like a sheet cake and because I couldn't find the energy to schlep across NYC to the Container Store to pick up mailing tubes. The infrastructure is held together with a combination of packing tape, cardboard, and bulked up by more diapers and diaper wipes. The top layer of diapers and the crowning flower arrangement aren't secured to the first layer, so the cake can be disassembled for transport home to Queens in a taxi.


I made most of it during my lunch hour at my desk, killed two pairs of scissors, one huge packing box (the cardboard for the platter and infrastructure), many glue sticks, a few rolls of ribbon, and tissue paper. More importantly, I amused my colleagues who I called in to be my other sets of hands, and totally burned my fingers on my glue gun, because the cord was stretched around the printer and computer monitor and the piles of my work. All things considering, I don't think it came out too badly for my first attempt at one of these.


Here's the cake at the shower, along with culinary creations from colleagues, and 100 of the treats from Baked by Melissa.

Will I be making another of of these for other showers?
I don't know. ... Ask me in a few months!

No comments: