______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cape Cod on Black Friday - Part Two

As we drove north on Route 6 to P-town, the skies finally cleared up. In a true holiday miracle, the public parking on the wharf was FREE and there were spots available. I love the Cape in the off-season. Although many of the restaurants are closed down, the foot and car traffic is light and you get to see a side of the Cape that's just wonderful.

Provincetown

View from the car parking lot
This trip bouyed our spirits. See Mom grin?
P-town had the most unique holiday decorations. We strolled up the pier from the car lot and came across this art installation.
According to the rest of the sign, there are 3,400 bulbs lighting the tree, 112 lobster traps, 62 plastic lobsters, 75 buoys, an 95 bows. You can see it at www.provincetownview.com, or in person until Jan. 30, 2009.

Mom and I strolled along Commercial Street, bought saltwater taffy by the pound at Cabot's Candy Store (the only place I can find clove-flavored saltwater taffy), and poked around the various stores. We sidetracked to the beach, where we heard word of a stranded harbor seal pup, and I saw this beaut of a shell necklace.

All of the views were spectacular that afternoon ...

Can it get more New England than this?

This sign cracked me up. It was on the very end corner of a pier.
All I could think was "DUH!"

There's a huge Portugese population in P-town. I'm sure these stencils had more to do with that, rather than the whole-chicken-crossing-the-road debate.

Mutt and Jeff here decided to share a trawler -- christened the Probable Cause.

Looking north from the harbor
As we walked along the pier, we got to see more harbor seals swimming around. This one was shy, and we wondered if it was the mama to the pup that was stranded up the beach.

I got mocked by other tourists for shooting this one, but look at the patina on that anchor. It's cool!
After a sunset dinner of seafood and salad (too much turkey the day before) and yummy pumpkin bread at the Lobster Pot, we wandered back to the car. Lobsters were on the brain, if not in the belly.
As a lovely parting gift, we got to see town "trees" all lit up.

The Lobster Pot Tree

We drove home in the dark, but this Aquarius's soul was revived by the salt sea and winter wind. Black Friday wasn't "black" for me, but a light in the long winter darkness. Now I just have to figure out how to get back out there before another 18 months passes me by.

No comments: