______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Cape Cod on Black Friday - Part One

Rather than brave the shopping hordes on Black Friday, Mom and I escaped to Cape Cod. It was a typical New England day, every five minutes the weather was different. We had wind, rain, sleet, and sun in rapid succession, making the beach excursions memorable. We did do some brief shopping at the Cape Cod Outlet Mall, but the day was more for sand, surf, and seafood, than shopping -- except for saltwater taffy.

In honor of Thanksgiving, we made a pilgrimage to First Encounter Beach. This historic beach bore witness to the first encounter between Native Americans and Pilgrims before their landing at Plymouth Rock.

First Encounter Beach

Also in Eastham is Fort Hill with its fabulous views of Nauset Marsh and the Atlantic Ocean. Fort Hill is part of the
Cape Cod National Seashore. It was too cold and windy to explore the whole walk. These are just some glimpses. My camera was too dinky to capture the sight of a blue heron in flight out in the surf, but some of the other die-hard birders and photogs got some great views. I captured the views of other things in flight.

Mom in motion
This is typical. She's never still.

Views from the Fort Hill hike:

The Atlantic Ocean and marsh

Beach erosion did in this sign

Break-waters rolling through the barriers
Closer views
New England Farmhouse - Winter sky

Seashore Lane

Waves of Bittersweet


On the way into the lot at Fort Hill I spied one of the fields filled with a flock of seagulls. Further investigation revealed that instead of an idyllic pastoral moment, it was more a scene straight out of the Serengeti, with gulls instead of hyenas and lions. Those birds weren't pecking on seeds or crumbs. Nope. Someone decided NOT to make turkey soup out of the carcass of their Thanksgiving Day bird and tossed it there for the gulls. Lovely. Just a little cannibalism as part of Thanksgiving/Black Friday. (Yes, I have a strange sense of humor, so I had to snap some shots on the way out.)

I see you eying my lunch.

I said, get away!

I am Jonathan. Hear me roar!

After Fort Hill we headed north on Route 6, with the ultimate destination of Provincetown in mind. We had to make various pit-stops along the way though. As we drove the weather changed from grey and overcast, with glints of sun, to pouring down rain.

North Sunken Meadow Beach
Massachusetts Bay side of Cape Cod
Wellfleet
Of course we had to stop at the local library.
It was the only place on mid-Cape that was open with a public restroom.
(Where was my Shushing Librarian when I needed her?)
Most important view of the trip
Two ladies + cold weater + rain + lots of soda = need for:

Coming soon, views of Provincetown.

No comments: