______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Auntie Nettie Reads A LOT - 2nd Quarter

This is the second installment of the Reading List for 2008. I do read a lot, though the list is a little shorter than usual for June. I've been doing some other things -- like vacationing, travelling, sleeping, and crafting. {The latter is a whole other blog posting that I haven't gotten around to doing yet, projects for 2008 are 42 and counting though!}

As a reminder: I'm not going to say what I've enjoyed or not, to overtly make recommendations, or to link to major on-line catalogs or retailers. This is just a list. I am posting this for me. There may be trends and themes, but they do not represent all of my interests or wholly represent me. The trend may shift considerably in the next few months.

The one thing that I did notice this quarter is that I have no qualms NOT finishing a book if it doesn't capture my attention in the first 30-50 pages (roughly one period of commuting time). Nothing against the authors or their works, but life is too short, and my list of books to read and things to do is too long to spend it reading things that I have to struggle to finish. Being forced to read stuff in high school English and certain sections of my college major totally soured me on being forced to read stuff that I didn't absolutely enjoy.

Go forth and read, my readers.

Reading list for April 2008
Grave Peril, Book 3 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Summer Knight, Book 4 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Death Masks, Book 5 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Blood Rites, Book 6 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Dead Beat, Book 7 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Proven Guilty, Book 8 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
White Night, Book 9 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Before Green Gables; The Prequel to Anne of Green Gables by Budge Wilson
Dragon Harper by Anne & Todd McCaffrey
The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison
The Archivist by Martha Cooley
Duplicate Keys by Jane Smiley
Small Favors, Book 10 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

Reading list for May 2008
The Commoner by John Burnahm Schwartz
Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers
Coyote Dream by Jessica Davis Stein
The New Yorkers by Cathleen Schine (didn't finish)
Bright Angel Time by Martha McPhee (didn't finish)
High Noon by Nora Roberts
Harrowing the Dragon by Patricia A. McKillip
Almost Heaven by Marianne Wiggins
Dead Ex by Harley Jane Kozak
Cooking Up Murder by Miranda Bliss
Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts
The Hollow by Nora Roberts
Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts (didn't finish)
The Aviary Gate by Katie Hickman
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway
The House at Midnight by Lucie Whitehouse
The Island of Eternal Love by Daina Chaviano

Reading list for June 2008
Eden's Outcasts: The Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Father by John Matteson (didn't finish)
The Man Who ate the 747 (didn't finish) by Ben Sherwood
The Seduction of the Crimson Rose by Lauren Willig
Seeing Me Naked by Liza Palmer
Secrets by Jude Deveraux
The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
The Host by Stephenie Meyer (3 times in one week!)
The Diagnosis of Love by Maggie Leffler
From Dead To Worse by Charlaine Harris

Currently reading Light of the Moon by Luanne Rice