______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Trek - Guest Dog Blog, Pt. 2

Diggity Dog here again -- guest dogger extraordinaire.

As you might recall, I had a conversion whilst I was in Utah. As a Missionary Mutt, I felt that I needed to partake in some historical experiences to get a feel for my new religion. Luckily, Auntie Nettie's parental units were participating in a reenactment of a pioneer trek with some of the area "utes" and agreed to take me along. Rather than be part of the covered wagon reenacttreks, they participated in a handcart reenactment, with costumes to boot. (Here's more information about the handcart pioneers.)

The Trek!

As you can see, there was lots of Dutch oven cooking to be had on this trip. I don't think the ancestors had generators and plastic gas containers in the back of their carts however. (Please note: NO hotdogs were served, out of consideration for my feelings!)


This is a puny play on a historically-correct handcart company AND a play on the name of the location from which some of these reenactors are based in the here-and-now. Again, I don't think the ancestors had nifty Orange-Glo water jugs, but we didn't care. It's MUGGY in New England.

Here we are all nicely queued up to go.
Note the fine four-star accommodations for this journey.
(*Mom, hint! I need a vacation from my vacation!)


Another view of the undisturbed wilderness.


Here are some intrepid female reenactors.
(Love the fashions. Where have I seen them recently?)
I can't remember if this is first thing in the morning or at the end of the day. All I remember is that I had a Devil of a Time with my blisters and sore muscles. There's a WHOLE new meaning for "my dogs are barking."

Here are the "utes." Don't they look "pupped?" Doggone tired?

You can't tell here, but we're all howling with delight.


Some of these reenactors are hardcore. I was a little scared of this guy, fearing he was a wolf in sheep's clothing, but he's now this dog's best friend ('cause he scratched me behind the ears and got out all the burrs from my coat, WOOF!).


Sadly, this marks the end of this trip with Auntie Nettie and her family. I'm back to Jane's Garden on Flax Hill, prepping for a trip to Maine to see Krippy and the brood, or off to Jolly O'England. We have yet to decide on the itinerary. *Though I'd REALLY like to go here; it's named after me, after all, and sounds "purrfect" after this trek.

Come and check me out at my home blog, Travels with Diggity Dog, to see where I end up next.

BYE!