______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Yummy Treats aka Tribute to T***

Is your office fortunate enough to have a resident baker? You know, the person who brings in treats on an almost daily basis? The person whose baking is really the only reason you get up to go to work on Monday? The wonderful person who makes all the office birthday cakes ... from scratch?

In my department at the Big J, this person is T***. We love her. People don't want to leave the School because of her. Not only is she an accomplished baker, but she's also a crafter and a "rockin'" shakuhachi flute player. She created this applique memento for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary.

We jokingly call T*** the "nice" Martha Stewart.* When Ms. Stewart had occasion to be at the Big J for her companion's receipt of an honorary degree, we made sure that our two Marthas had a photo op.



Mom, don't faint now, but T*** even got me to eat zucchini -- that much loathed vegetable -- by sneaking it into a killer chocolate cake. It's oooohhh so good. (When your garden makes too much zucchini Janey, I have an idea for you!)

T***’s Chocolate Cake
Aka Chocolate Zucchini Cake
From The New Good Cake Book by Diana Dalsass

9 Tbs butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 1-oz. squares unsweetened chocolate, melted, cooled
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp grated orange rind
½ cup milk
½ cup shredded zucchini
21/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour a 9 or 10 inch tube pan.

Cream butter and sugar.
Beat in eggs, chocolate, vanilla, orange rind, and milk.
Stir in zucchini.
Whisk together dry ingredients.
Stir into zucchini mixture.
Turn batter into pan.
Bake about 1 hour.
Cook in pan on rack 15-20 minutes.
Finish cooling cake on rack.


Serves 16+.


* MY opinions about Ms. Stewart are too well known to be re-voiced in cyberland. Needless to say, I did NOT get in a photo op with her.