______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Rainy Day Meditations on a Natal Event

Strange signs that you are getting older:

~ You are no longer a “young” single adult, as per your Church;

~ You are no longer a member of the key demographic of 18-34;

~ You are one of the last generations that learned how to type on actual
typewriters;

~ You are one of the last generations that learned to play music on
turntables;

~ You are one of the last generations that tuned into
television with antennas;

~ Your generation played on playgrounds with asphalt and metal
jungle gyms;

~ You're part of the
X generation, but pre-date the Y generation;

~ Prince’s song about “
1999” was about a year that was AGES away;

~ You still can’t believe that Y2K was years ago;

~ You find yourself having short-term memory loss for no apparent reason;*

~ You’ve stopped dying your hair;

~ You find grey hairs in other strange places;

~ Bits and parts of you creak when you try to use them;

~ Your parents are retired and on Social Security;

~ Your “
baby” brother is going to be 30 this year;

~ Your younger siblings have been married for more than five and ten years;

~ You worked at
one job the same amount of time that you spent in regular schooling;

~ You realize that your first boyfriend’s oldest kid is the age that his dad was when you and he first met;

~ Your high school and class reunions are coming up on the 15 and 20 year mark;

~ The next major milestone birthdays are the ones with 0's on the end of them;

~ You start rounding up on your age six months in advance so you get used to the number by the time your actual birthday rolls around; and

~ You decide to start adding the numbers of your age together and have your inner child start acting that age instead of your real one.

So, happy freaking b-day to me. Today, I am 9!

*I’m sure there are more items for this list, but these are just the ones I can remember.

5 comments:

testmonkey said...

Happy Birfday, sistah!

Anonymous said...

Oy. Getting old sucks the big one. Adults try to tell us this will happen when we're stupid teenagers but we don't listen.

So happy 27th birthday Auntie Nettie. I mean, you are 27 right? You said to just add the digits to equal your age and 2+7=9.

ps-That's quite a list of things. I'm proud to say that I learned to type on a typewriter. And I remember tv's with antenna. Hell, I remember tv's in black and white. So I guess that I too am classified as old. *sigh*

Flax Hill Gardener said...

I hope you had a delightful birthday day! I hope that this year you are wiser than the 9 year olds that I teach. Or not.

Kristin.... said...

Poor Auntie Nettie. She is taking this "getting old" thing so harshly. Glad that I am not as old as she. :)

xoxoxo. I am the next to turn 9, by the way!

Auntie Nettie said...

@Anonymous -- 27? Me thinks you didn't read item 2 very well, but I thank you.