______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, February 1, 2008

Item of the Week: Ongoing

Lest anyone think that Auntie Nettie hasn't been working on her crafting, please note that she's in the middle of three large scale afghan projects (pictures of two of them in progress can be seen below). While I'm working on the large scale projects, I've also been working on portable projects that I can do during my commute.

So, let me see ... that's 4 fancy skinny scarves to one large blankie ... and counting.
Sorry the afghans are already spoken for, and it may be a cold day in H-E-C-K before I do another large project for a while.

Drew's Afghan -- twin-sized, light blue alphabet block afghan, 2/3rds done
You do this one in reverse, so you actually start with the block near the Z and end up with the block by the A, then you have to push all the "bobbles/puffs" through the stitches to get the effect. You HAVE to watch the counting and the pattern because if you miscount in one block you have to carry the mistake throughout -- unless you don't mind unravelling hours of work. (Which I've done, and it SUCKS!) When the manufacturers tell you to buy enough of the same dyelot to finish your project -- they mean it! I cannot find another skein of the EXACT same blue to finish this, that's why it's taking me so long*. The blues I'm finding are just a hair off. Skyblue/lightblue, no dyelots -- my butt. The closest one I found is just a hair greyer and I CAN TELL. I've even warned my sister-in-law because she would notice. Not that I want my work to be mangled, but I'm hoping that my nephew uses the bejeepers out of this (once it's finished) so that it gets mangy enough that the two blues match.

*Full disclosure: I started this for his 2nd birthday. If you read the blog, you'll notice that his 3rd birthday was a week ago. Sorry Drew. Luckily, you can't read yet and won't hold it against me (yet anyway)



Kate's Afghan -- twin-sized zig-zag purple mix snuggly afghan -- SOOOOO close to being done.

A former colleaque at the Big C asked me do some afghans for the ladies in his life, for when they would curl up and watch movies. Found this fun yarn that reminded me of his full of energy, changeable, electrified tween. Figured I make it big so she could grow up and still snuggle under it. It's a deceptively simply pattern, but you have to keep counting. (MORE COUNTING!)


Stay tuned for the pictures of the finished products and other Items of the Week.

No comments: