______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, February 9, 2008

10 Random Things about Auntie Nettie

A couple of days ago I was tagged by Xtina of the Monkey Maxfield’s blog. As per her instructions, I am supposed to list ten (10) random things about myself.

RANDOM THINGS ABOUT AUNTIE NETTIE:

1. I am named after my paternal grandfather and a paternal ancestress, a great-great-great something aunt. I have the exact same name as the great(X)-aunt, which means if you Google me and scroll around, it may look like I’ve been dead since 1878.

2. I have no middle name. Neither did my namesake (see above).

3. People mistake and mispronounce my first and surname all the time. It’s ridiculous. Pay attention people. It's like the MONTH. I’m not of Latin or African-American descent. Nor, for that matter, am I related to the coffee people. If you come across an article or book ala The Devil Wears Prada or The Nanny Diaries written by a Juanita Maxwell, I don’t know anything about it (*ahem*). Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Bribes WILL be accepted.

4. My nicknames in high school were Mario (as in Andretti), Crash, and Evil (as in Kneivil) because of my unfortunate propensity to have 'minor' fender-benders. I don’t have a car anymore in case you think things have changed. (I don't care what the ongoing litigation is saying, I still maintain the last one WAS NOT MY FAULT.)

5. I used to play the piano relatively well. Now I just type very fast, and can do so with my eyes closed.

6. In college I was part of a chamber ensemble called the Trio Non Sacra, aka The Unholy Trio. Rehearsals were always fun and filled with cackling, hysterical laughter (oh, except for the Martinu! We had another nickname for that piece). One time the violinist played the piano while I did a “dance” to the rhythmic and percussive accompaniment of the flutist. We did play at Commencement, albeit with a new name and much more decorum.

7. I don’t like heights and one time got severe vertigo on the Empire State Building, but for some reason I want to do a tandem jump out of a plane. Go figure.

8. I’m pretty sure I have a government file. Why? I went to the Soviet Union in high school, have a friend who use to work for the White House Advance Communication Detail, had another friend use me as a reference when she was going to have top-level military language training, and have another friend who used me as a reference to join the tri-state area bar. Do I think Big Brother is watching? YEP! (Payre A. Noid. Party of One. Your table is ready.)

9. For a brief time I considered applying for a job with the CIA -- and I don't mean the Culinary Institute of America. The other one. Yep. That one. As a librarian, granted, but still. Can you imagine? The mind boggles. What was I thinking?! Sydney Bristow I am not.

10. I’m painfully shy. Social situations like parties, gatherings, or any new situations are a nightmare. So how do I do library work, fund raise, “booze and schmooze,” do tours, take classes, date, or leave the house, etc.? Some situations I avoid utterly, others I ease into, some I’ve gotten over completely. It’s a work in progress. This shirt fits me to a T.

There are ten (10) somewhat random things about Auntie Nettie. Hope this helps explain the enigma-wrapped-in-a-puzzle-shrouded-by-mystery that is me.

I guess now I am supposed to tag some other people so I will tag the following unholy friends, Krippy and Jane.

5 comments:

testmonkey said...

Such secrets you have revealed here on the ol' interwebs. I guess if they have a file on you, they know a few things about the rest of your family, too.

And here I was thinking that all the Crown Vic's I constantly see around me on the road and parked outside my office were just a figment of my imagination.

OldandGray said...

Well, Well, Well, some of the things your learn about people from a blog that they will not share in person.

Crash was just a nice name when tempers were not flying or walking around the block.

SHY is the last thing anyone would think of as a discriptor (sp).


Dating as definded (sp) by whom?

By the way if the underlined words were corrictable (sp) don't you think I would fix them instead of looking stupid?

Kristin.... said...

If I remember correctly, it was indeed the Trio Non Sacra that played at Commencement. No one knew what the name meant.....the fancy language made us seem so much more dignified than we truly were...

Auntie Nettie said...

@testmonkey -- It's not a figment of your imagination. They are out to get you -- and make you dress like a grownup. It's the Fashion Police in the Vics, as the cops have Interceptors now. (Not that I know that from first-hand experience or anything.

@old&gray -- That's what the 'Net's for -- semi-anonymous sharing of information that reveals a layer of people. Does it explain anything? Not really. Would years of therapy? Probably. With #10 it's all about acting, training, and much denial. Dating? Oh yeah -- I gave that up for Lent about 12 years ago. Ask me about it again with the numbers in my age reverse. Can't help you with the spelling. Sorry.

@myfourkids -- that's RIGHT! Any of the Latin/Romance Language people probably figured it out, but the jocks just thought we were weird. THEY ARE/WERE RIGHT! It's your turn to share.

Anonymous said...

So many interesting things, most of which I didn't know. I guess that was the point. Thanks for sharing!