______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, September 27, 2013

Letters from/for Drew: Snail and Blog Mail

Drew's letter 9/21/13
Dear Drew:

Thank you for your letter.

I miss you too! I need to call you guys on the computer some night soon. I'll talk to your mom about making a time - or maybe one day when you are at Grandmary's house for a sleepover?

I did know the babies were standing up. I saw a picture of them getting ready for bathtime, but I didn't know about all their teeth. Do they bite you? Watch out! What toy did your mom buy them that they love?

Are they crawling into your room too? Do you think they will be walking by Christmas, or just crawling and climbing all over the place? Do they race each other?

I am excited to hear about you playing flag football and playing on the Ravens team and wearing the black jersey. Do you wear helmets and pad in flag football? Is there tackling in that one, or only in the "regular" football? Be careful. I think you should only wear black and blue, not BE black and blue. I bruise a lot, so have to wear long pants to hide how clumsy I am banging myself on my desk.

I'm glad you are starting lots of new book series. I have heard of the Spiderwick Chronicles, and the Magic Tree House books, but do you know? I never read ANY of them. You'll have to tell me what they were about. Do you know what you want to read next, because I am always looking for recommendations - for now and for buying your Christmas presents and birthday. Do you read to the babies, or by yourself in your room? (Do you know, sometimes Grandmary liked to have me read out loud to your dad when we were really little. There are silly silly pictures at Grandmary's house somewhere in your special room.)

My favorite subjects in school were music and reading. NOT P.E. and our library time was VERY different when I was your age. There were no fancy iPads. We barely had old fashioned typewriters, and NOT in the library, because they were too loud. P.E. was hard. There was too much running and jumping, and then balls kept being thrown at me or ... at least that's what it felt like. I think I was supposed to be catching, or hitting, or throwing that silly ball -- instead of ducking.

I DID have fun on the boat with my friend. It was really different from my vacations during the winter when I come out and see you, and the babies, and your parents, and Grandmary and Grumpa. I'm trying to plan my next trip. Do you have a list of things you want to try and do with me? We always go bowling and try and see a movie - but you never wait to save a movie to see with me! Maybe hiking again? Too bad Grumpa doesn't have 3 kayaks, or all 3 of us could go out on the water. You are getting really good. Think about it and let me know.

Thanks again SO much for your real letter in my mail box. I read it almost immediately on my walk back to my office. I was outside by a metal food truck waiting for my lunch sandwich and it made the time go much faster. Real mail is so much better than just bills and advertisements! (I even think the girls behind me in line were reading your letter. I don't think they realized people still wrote and sent real letters!) Tomorrow I'll print this out and put it in an envelope and send it to you.

Lots of love,
I miss you too!

Auntie Nettie

P.S. What are you going to be for Halloween?
P.S.S. Kiss the babies for me.
P.S.S.S. Hug mom for me and say thank you for writing the addresses on the envelope and sticking it in the mail.

9-21-13

Dear Nettie, I miss you alot. Did you know that the babies were standing up? Cannon has 3 teeth and Sarah has 2 teeth. Mom bought them a new toy and they love it! Now that they can crawl they're EVERYWHERE!

On Monday I get to go to flag football. My team is the Ravens and I get to wear black jerseys. I'm really excited.
I started a new series of books since I'm out of books. There called the Spiderwick Chronicles. I barly just got done finishing nuber fifty of the magic tree house books. I am having a fantastic time in school. My favorite subjects are P.E. and Library. I like Library because we get to use Ipads and check out cool books.

It looks like you had an amazing cruise you went on. I liked your postcards. Again I miss you alot.

See you at christmas.

Drew

No comments: