______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, September 9, 2013

Dreaming Out Loud - Sabbatical

Photo from here
As you have seen, last month's cruise was a delightful sampling of vacation travel. It just whet my appetite for Canada, the Maritimes, sea sailing, travel, and being away from the City, the stresses, and all kinds of things.

I'm saving my pennies for a future trip. (Not my Canadian pennies, however.)

Ah ... some of my vivid dreams are to go back, go on other journeys, sail on a tall ship or yacht - but I'll cover that in another months.

Dreams, you see, can shift, and drift, and sail, and wisp away on currents ...


I came back and have been in the midst of all kinds of sea changes at the office. I find myself in familiar turbulent waters. To move the metaphor back to a land setting, I find myself approaching a crossroads.

I see the intersection coming up on the horizon.

The decisions are, go straight on full steam ahead, turn left ... or turn right -- both into the unknown.

Right now, I can't see the forest for the trees. I'm in the weeds.
Photo from here
To be totally pragmatic, my dream this month is about all about money.
Benjamins. Currency. Funding. Cash. Grants. Dollars -- and "Sense"
Image from here


Image from here
Money: So I can take a "sabbatical" to find out what I really want to do with the other half of my life.

If I wasn't worried about paying off my debt(s), paying my bills, and/or paying my rent, would I escape from current scenario and try new things, explore new locations, spend time with family, take my time and get re-educated/re-trained, and really plan what to do, instead of just lucking into career opportunities?

Yes.

Hell yes. 

In a gold-plated heartbeat.
Image from here
Life is too short to be this stressed-out and stuck behind a computer in a cubicle in an airless building.

But the reality is, this is just a VERY expensive dream. I don't have the kinds of fairy godmothers who have this kind of  discretionary giving. The ability to just to wave a not-insignificant money at a random person to wipe the slate, waive the monthly bills, build a nest egg, and fund a series of journeys down a new set a paths.

Maybe this isn't a really a sabbatical I'm dreaming about?
Time to keep stashing my coins in the wish jars.

No comments: