______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wreck it Wednesdsay: Wreck this Journal

After a long week of staring at one screen or another, it was so lovely to spend last Friday with Christine. After hugs and news were exchanged, there was also an exchange of birthday goods.

Christine knows me so well. She could just tell that it was time for some crafts therapy.

My present was Keri Smith's Wreck This Journal - the expanded 2012 edition.


Wreck This Journal: To Create is to Destroy

Per Amazon.com
Already showing my imprint
For anyone who's ever had trouble starting, keeping, or finishing a journal or sketchbook comes this expanded edition of Wreck This Journal, an illustrated book that features a subversive collection of prompts, asking readers to muster up their best mistake and mess-making abilities and to fill the pages of the book (or destroy them). Through a series of creatively and quirkily illustrated prompts, acclaimed artist Keri Smith encourages journalers to engage in "destructive" acts--poking holes through pages, adding photos and defacing them, painting pages with coffee*, coloring outside the lines, and more--in order to experience the true creative process. With Smith's unique sensibility, readers are introduced to a new way of art and journal making, discovering novel ways to escape the fear of the blank page and fully engage in the creative process.
From the Preface:
Warning: During the process of this book you will get dirty. You may find yourself covered in paint, or any other number of foreign substances. You will get wet. You may be asked to do things you question. You may grieve for the perfect state that you found the book in. You may begin to see creative destruction everywhere. You may begin to live more recklessly. 
All color added by me
I spent part of the weekend playing in this ... here are some horrible iTouch photos, which just don't do it justice!

I was writing on top of my own writing
Certain pens bleed through - which I'll have to remember. Also, I can't draw.
Traced my hand with pencil, made annotations, and then illustrated with 3 nail polishes. Added note about which hand.
I love this duct tape. There is a pattern, but you can't see it for the paisley.
Page numbers bleed through. I've been adding dates of which pages I do.
* Coffee/tea substitutions will have to be made, or done with guest journalers.

Thanks for the inspiration Christine. What have you wrought?

Given that some of these pages instruct you to remove them from the book, I may split the spine and remove them all for preservation purposes. How I will do that with the 3-D stuff, I don't know yet!

Stay tuned.

No comments: