______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, February 18, 2013

Maternal Musings from Mary: February 18, 1976

As part of our theological education in my church, the children spend additional instructional time, as well as congregational time away from the adults-- while they in turn have their own theological education. Primary, as this is called, is for the under 12 year-olds, and comprises of age-grouped class time, as well as a group time with all of the kids. These "opening exercises" have prayers, hymns, scripture readings/moments, a sharing time (kind of like a religious show-and-tell/lunch and learn), and singing time, where we learned new songs and/or practiced group pieces for the inclusive group sessions aka Sacrament meeting. The kids participate by giving the prayers, scripture readings, and assisting with sharing time. It's an example of how our public speaking training starts as early as the age of 3-5 (if not earlier). In my case, I was also providing the musical accompaniment for all of Primary and the Sacrament Meeting, as early as 10ish(?).

The enclosed is a sharing time piece that my mother gave. The Primary must have been highlighting various kids around their birthdays.


February 18, 1976
Was the Special Person for Primary

This special person is a little girl who is very sharing with her little brother, especially his toys. She really tries to help her mother like her teachers tell her in Primary and Junior Sunday School by setting the table, picking up her toys and her brother’s toys, and making her new bed. In October she took a trip with her family to visit her grandparents in North Carolina. Upon her return, she started taking dance lessons and participated in a dance program before Christmas to help with charity. She is really learning many things, like how to color, to write her name, and to count from 20 to 30. The most exciting thing to happen lately was her fourth birthday on Friday. She had a party with all her friends in the neighborhood nursery who are also in her Primary class. Her Mama and daddy love her very much and are thankful that [Auntie Nettie] came to live in their home.


Auntie Nettie and Grandmary c. early 1976 courtesy of Grumpa Max
Frighteningly, Grandmary is younger in this picture than I am "write" now
Also, that means I'm about Nathan/Elle's age here.

1 comment:

testmonkey said...

I know you're rusty with the whole church thing, but:
Nursery: 18 months – 3
Primary: 3 – 12

My goodness, what would we do with Elle?! :)