______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, November 9, 2012

Retroblogging: Chicago Trip 2012, Art Institute

This should wrap up our brief tour of the Art Institute of Chicago. I didn't cover nearly all of it's collections, installations, or exhibitions, but it did whet my appetite for a return visit. Not to toot my own horn, or anyone else's,
but it's a great place to see art from many vantage points. You never know who might mosey on by while you are taking a rest to take everything in.
 

Vater Staat..
By Thomas Schutte [German, born 1954]
2010/ patinated bronze..
Vater Staat, which translates to “Father State", Schuttë’s ongoing interest in the effect of totalitarian regimes on the human condition.

The marker read..
The sculpture of Thomas Schutte mines both his own earlier work and the art of previous eras - particularly monumnetal and memorial genres - to address the burden of traumatic history. He is primarily concerned with human condition and the effect that contemporary political structure have on the lives of individulas. In Vater Staat [which translates as "Father State"] an imposing bronze statue towers over the viewer, immediately establishing a power dynamics within the space. The Patriarchal figure, representative of a totalitarian regime or state, is shrouded in a cloak that binds his arms, rendeing him helpless and immobile. Schutte selection of material, in this case, patinated bronze, allowed him to address the historical use of the figure as a staple of public art. Here, is in other works, the artist engaged in the tendency toward monumentality in order to subvert it - this figure is actually an antihero.



The Gift Shop is also stocked with lots of fun trinkets and souvenirs. Sadly, my favorite pieces, and the ones I really wanted to take home, were not available. If I could only use these various accessories to warn people of my mood, maybe they wouldn't bug me when I wasn't in the mood.

<====  <======
This is the "leave me the hell alone" accessory.







The one below means you might approach.
Henry Wilson
English, 1864-1934


"Diana" Diadem, c. 1908
Enameled gold, rock crystal, moonstones, sapphires
6.4 x 16.5 cm (2 1/2 x 6 1/2 in.)
Restricted gift of Quinn E. Delaney and Kathryn and John Gilbertson, 2002.16



No comments: