______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Recipes from Ollie J -- Drop Biscuits

Some of the recipes in Grandma Ollie J's recipe box were from other sources, some of which must have come from the local paper. This one, like others, came from other southern ladies, which Grandma clipped and then taped to recipe cards. Even though I never wrote down Grandma's actual biscuit recipe when she ever so quickly whipped them together (from years of experience), I can guarantee you that mayo was NOT one of the ingredients.

Drop Biscuits

Submitted by Mrs. Emma Ward, Rt. 2, Seven Springs, N.C.

2 cups self-rising flour

1 cup milk

2 tblsp. mayonnaise


Sift flour into bowl. Add milk and mayonnaise. Mix all together and beat as making cake.
(aka, no lumps)
Drop into greased muffin tins about half full, bake as biscuits at 400 degrees.

Really quick to make and delicious too!
(Well, this is half right.)

This dough was very sticky. I only got about 8 biscuits out of it.

I didn't know how long "bake as biscuits" was, so I started out with the timer going from 10-15 minutes. It was actually closer to 20-25 until these started to brown on top. I probably should have baked them even a bit longer than I did.

These are perfectly acceptable biscuits. However, they are heavier, doughier, and not as flakey as the versions I remember, the kinds you get out of the exploding cans, or the ones served at Cracker Barrel. Stick enough honey or jam on them while they are steaming hot, though, and they're fine.

(The next day? Not so much.)


No comments: